Sign in to follow this  

Fly racing boots, any good?

Take that money to ebay and get a great used boot, trust me on this one.

Thanks so much for saving me from that. What would you recommend as a good brand/boot for a good price

Thanks so much for saving me from that. What would you recommend as a good brand/boot for a good price

If you want a decent entry level boot I suggest the Tech 3 from Alpinestars. I normally wear Tech 10's but I have a pair of Tech 3's I got cheap and they aren't bad.
  • Like 1

The people that diss the Fly Mavericks probably have never worn them.  I just finished my second season with a pair.  Super comfortable, buckles work great, durable.  I have walked quite a ways in them just because they are comfortable enough not to have to bother to take them off.  They require a break in, but after about 2 rides they were fine.  They aren't the best boot on the market, but for a low priced boot you get more than your money's worth.

The people that diss the Fly Mavericks probably have never worn them.  I just finished my second season with a pair.  Super comfortable, buckles work great, durable.  I have walked quite a ways in them just because they are comfortable enough not to have to bother to take them off.  They require a break in, but after about 2 rides they were fine.  They aren't the best boot on the market, but for a low priced boot you get more than your money's worth.

Ditto.

They are cheap but I find them plenty comfortable, they are my first pair of mx boots so I have nothing to compare them to either.

They are not in way water resistant though, they are more like a funnel towards your feet.

Cheers,

Jon

The people that diss the Fly Mavericks probably have never worn them. I just finished my second season with a pair. Super comfortable, buckles work great, durable. I have walked quite a ways in them just because they are comfortable enough not to have to bother to take them off. They require a break in, but after about 2 rides they were fine. They aren't the best boot on the market, but for a low priced boot you get more than your money's worth.

Don't guess you have ever wore a good pair of boots either then. These fly boots are junk the leather won't hold up and they have no support for your ankles ! My nikes support my ankles better then these. I have tried them on and had friends with them and they suck point blank period

OP don't cheap out on boots get something worth buying and you'll save money from not having to buy boots once or twice a year. The gearne 200$ boots are pretty good for a cheap boot. You wouldn't be caught wearing some cheap Walmart helmet would you ? Don't put a price on major parts of your body that you can protect well by not going the cheap route. I uset to wear gearne sg10's and loved them my feet felt very safe and could walk in them all day. Then a local shop had some tech 8's and I tried them on and feel in love they feel just like a tennis shoe. They are great. Thanks to the discount the 250$ price tag helped me decide to. Sold both of my used sg10's and bought the tech 8'a and made 100$ profit.

Don't guess you have ever wore a good pair of boots either then. These fly boots are junk the leather won't hold up and they have no support for your ankles ! My nikes support my ankles better then these. I have tried them on and had friends with them and they suck point blank period

OP don't cheap out on boots get something worth buying and you'll save money from not having to buy boots once or twice a year. The gearne 200$ boots are pretty good for a cheap boot. You wouldn't be caught wearing some cheap Walmart helmet would you ? Don't put a price on major parts of your body that you can protect well by not going the cheap route. I uset to wear gearne sg10's and loved them my feet felt very safe and could walk in them all day. Then a local shop had some tech 8's and I tried them on and feel in love they feel just like a tennis shoe. They are great. Thanks to the discount the 250$ price tag helped me decide to. Sold both of my used sg10's and bought the tech 8'a and made 100$ profit.

Lol, no I guess my pairs of A Stars previously don't count, then. People get really wound up, though, when it comes to inexpensive boots, the snob factor I guess. If you have had a pair of the Fly's and they were as you described then they obviously didn't fit you. I'm not saying these compare to my old A Stars, but for a $100 boot they are a good value. And, if they fit righgt, they offer decent protection. I'd rather see the op wear a pair of these rather than some old work boots.

Same shit, different pile.

Look for a set of Gaerne/Sidi/Forma boots.

Gaerne GX-1's should be about $200, and are quality.

I agree. I took the advise to get the middle of the pack boots and they'll last. Takes some getting used to but these boots are comfortable and feel completely normal when riding. Have already saved my toes from some rocks in the time I've had them. I got them for under 200 and they should last a while from what I've heard. Better to go middle of the pack and have them last 2-3 years then buy the $100 ones and get a new pair next year (at least that's my thinking)

• Like 1

lol buy cheap boots all you want, just don't plan on having good ankle support when your on a track and stub your foot...there is a reason they are 100$ or whatever..real leather is not cheap, and quality parts aren't either, you guys saying oh the 100$ boots aint bad probably run hot rod cranks and cheap chains and everything else

I used to wear Alpinestars Tech 3s and those are good boots for the money. I wanted to try something different, but last time I ordered a pair of Gaerne SG11s from Motosport.com, they looked well used similar to a boot that's been re-soled. So I sent them back, and the Alpinestars Tech 10s I replaced them with are more comfortable and have better safety features than the Gaernes. I should have boight these boots in the first place, the level of protection in them is so much higher. There is a hinge in them and I can't roll my ankle like I could in the Tech 3s. I would recommend a hinged boot period to everyone now. Never tried Flys though. Just heard they weren't very good.

Edited by Texas2Smoker

I have tried O'Neal element and fly maverick too. I am cheap. I do like hot rods cranks, namura piston, 17 year old kx250, BUT I will not compromise on foot protection. Broke three toes in a star tech3s. Also junk. Have gaerne sg10 for last few years and no foot problems despite more hits to my feet. They're $315 at extreme supply . Com.

I wear a $100 DOT one industries helmet. Does fine but i do not wear inferior footwear. My street shoes are three different pair of Wolverine work boots. I do not believe in inferior shoes/boots!

Snobby footwear guy on a 17 year old dirt bike using cheap low quality parts lol.

I have the Fly Maverick and O'Neal Racing Rider boots. Both are fine, though I like the fit of the O'Neal boots a little more.

lol buy cheap boots all you want, just don't plan on having good ankle support when your on a track and stub your foot...there is a reason they are 100$ or whatever..real leather is not cheap, and quality parts aren't either, you guys saying oh the 100$ boots aint bad probably run hot rod cranks and cheap chains and everything else

Lol