Sign in to follow this  

2003 YZ exhaust

Who likes which aftermarket pipe best for a YZ? Why? I have an 03 with a Noleen pipe & it's jetted right, just not sure about it. PC says their pipe improves low to mid & FMF says theirs improves throughout the whole powerband so i'm just wanting everyone else's take on pipes. Mine ha a PC silencer on it. I've thought about picking up a stock pipe just to see what the bike ran like with it on there & still might.

Thanks!!

Thanks. Good information! Wish I had some info on the noleen pipe that's on my bike, havent been able to find anything tho. It seems that the noleen makes a lot of power but it doesn't really hit the band until youre way up in the revs. But then, i'm 50 years old...do I really need all the top? LOL. Really looking for low to mid but i'd hate to buy a pipe & find out that there's not much difference in a different pipe versus the noleen that's on the bike now.

Thanks. Good information! Wish I had some info on the noleen pipe that's on my bike, havent been able to find anything tho. It seems that the noleen makes a lot of power but it doesn't really hit the band until youre way up in the revs. But then, i'm 50 years old...do I really need all the top? LOL. Really looking for low to mid but i'd hate to buy a pipe & find out that there's not much difference in a different pipe versus the noleen that's on the bike now.

do you have a pic of the noleen pipe? I hear they are good.

I just got a yz250 and it came with a Noleen pipe I have also heard they are great.

20151113_183605.jpg

• Like 1

Hey 711. What are you doing with the bike? Woods, Moto, Freestyling, Hahaha?  I've ridden with 2 different FMF pipes. The Fatty and the Gnarly. The Fatty is just like the test says, "just ride it" and it goes, nothing special just a little more everywhere. I thought it was softer down low compare stocker. Rode the Gnarly and its was low and mid then shuts off. I'm 53 and ride woods and single track. For me I like the stocker. Good low end grunt, strong thru the mid and enough rev if and when I get there. Just my 2 pennies worth.

• Like 1

Who likes which aftermarket pipe best for a YZ? Why? I have an 03 with a Noleen pipe & it's jetted right, just not sure about it. PC says their pipe improves low to mid & FMF says theirs improves throughout the whole powerband so i'm just wanting everyone else's take on pipes. Mine ha a PC silencer on it. I've thought about picking up a stock pipe just to see what the bike ran like with it on there & still might.

Thanks!!

I don't know much about the Noleen pipes. I had a 2003 yz125 with a Fmf Factory Fatty, FMf Shorty, and Boyesen Rad Valve. The bottem end was ok but the mid-top Screamed. Here is a video of of me riding wide open in some feilds.

Hey 711. What are you doing with the bike? Woods, Moto, Freestyling, Hahaha?  I've ridden with 2 different FMF pipes. The Fatty and the Gnarly. The Fatty is just like the test says, "just ride it" and it goes, nothing special just a little more everywhere. I thought it was softer down low compare stocker. Rode the Gnarly and its was low and mid then shuts off. I'm 53 and ride woods and single track. For me I like the stocker. Good low end grunt, strong thru the mid and enough rev if and when I get there. Just my 2 pennies worth.

I'm just riding. Nothing special. My buddy has a lot of trails at his place.

I'm just riding woods, nothing special. My buddy has a lot of trails at his place.

I'll probably just keep the Noleen pipe on it. It has good power all the way thru til it signs off, just thinking more bottom would be nice. I seem to want my bikes to be able to stand up in every gear. LOL.

I attached a pic to this thread. I've heard they were good pipes too, but if they were so good, wonder why Noleen is strictly a suspension company now.? 

I don't know much about the Noleen pipes. I had a 2003 yz125 with a Fmf Factory Fatty, FMf Shorty, and Boyesen Rad Valve. The bottem end was ok but the mid-top Screamed. Here is a video of of me riding wide open in some feilds.

The low end jetting sounds really bad on that bike, cuts out a lot.

I noticed you let the engine 'compression brake' as you suddenly chop off the gas after a long wide open throttle pull,

that's a really bad practice to do on a 2-stroke and increases the chance of a seizure.

Your still high revving engine depends on the air/fuel mixture to cool down the piston, compression braking it with the throttle closed chances are it doesn't receive enough.

If you are going to coast after a long pull, pull the clutch in and let the engine rev back down by itself. Use the brakes to slow the bike rather than the engine.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

think about what kind of riding you do and what kind of rider you are.   Don't lie to yourself either ;)

If you are WOT balls to the wall a lot because of terrain or skill or combination of both, you might want a pipe and silencer combo like an fmf fatty and a PC304 that is going to give you more all over but rev out.

If you are like me and do mainly woods riding, hare scrambles, hill climbs and endure type stuff at an intermediate level or just a weekend warrior you might benefit more from an enduro type pipe like the gnarly which gives you a little more low end and mid grunt. 

I have the DEP heavy enduro pipe and silencer combo.  pipe is heavier but armored which pays off for the kind of riding I do.  Gives good performance boost over the rev range with a good pick up in the middle.  I have not really had a chance to ride different pipes back to back switching them off the same bike so it is really hard to say much comparing them but that is what the magazine write ups are for. 

I have no regrets about the DEP setup I have, the bike feels great everywhere

You're gonna find the FMF Fatty to be the best all around pipe for the yz250. Yeah sure there will be guys that chime in and say otherwise.

Go to a race some day and walk down the 2t line and see how many fattys there are compared to others. Prob at least 2 or 3 fattys to 1 of any other brand. Pc prob brings up a close second.

My thinking is that if I change the pipe, it will be an FMF Fatty, but honestly i'll probably just leave the Noleen pipe on it.

I remember hearing a lot about the Noleen pipe being a really good pipe for the YZ, just wish I could find some write ups on it. 

Thanks for all the input!!  :)