Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Yamaha YFZ450 wont stay running

So I was going to trade my 03 CRF450R for a 04 YFZ450 quad. 

Kid has had the quad for a few months, put a battery in it and rode it a couple times. He said a few weeks ago he had to put a new battery in it again, and tonight when I went to his house to swap he couldnt get it to start. I was able to get it to fire on a battery box jumper, but it had to stay connected. I got it running and 100% warmed up and I disconnected the charger that helped get it running and it died immediately.

The bike has electric and kick start. First, with kick start back up why does it need a battery in it to run? It seems to me the kick start shouldnt be there if you need the battery to keep it running anyways.

Second, since there is obviously a drain or charging problem where should I start? Never had an electric start quad like this. I havent traded yet but I would like the quad so if I can help the guy work though this I will still make the trade.

Thanks

Your stator will put a charge out to the ignition which fires your plug to burn fuel I'd say a stator problem all the way