Sign in to follow this  

Honda Cr125 vs Crf250r for the trails

I am looking for my first dirt bike and I haveridden many times before and I would mostly likely be trail riding and throwing around every day. please don't tell me to get a yz I am only looking at honds. im 6 foot and my inner kids wants to know what is faster 

First neither of those two bikes are 'trail' bikes, they are high revving MX racing bikes,

sure they can be ridden off-road but are far from ideal if the trails in question are tight, slow, very rocky etc.

They will have very stiff suspension out on the trail as they are meant for MX'ing, plus no provision to plug a headlight if required.

Both also require constant forward movement to produce airflow thru the radiators to cool the engine,

idle at a standstill for too long or move too slowly and they will eventualy overheat.

If any steep hillclimbs are part of the trail, the CRF250R torquier engine will be advantageous vs the 125.

On the other hand the CR125 has the advantage of being lighter, more nimble making it easier to manhandle around if required.

The 125 consumes fuel at a faster rate, limiting it's range.

The 2-stroke 125 will require you to premix gasoline, rejet the carburator when ambiant temperature rise/drop more than 15°C

and depending on usage replace the piston and ring about once a season.

The 4-stroke 250F will require you to check and adjust valves regularly to monitor wear,

it's top end too will also needs refurbishing but at longer intervals than the 125.

These are 'race' engines and require preventative maintenance if you want them to last / be reliable.

An engine failure with the 250F would likely cost more to fix than the 125.

As to which is 'faster' it depends what you mean... acceleration, top speed, likely the 250F accelerates faster but both will have a similar top speed.

Also neither of the two are meant to be held 'wide open' down long stretches of road for hours on end and be expected to last.

Perhaps also consider a CRF250X, which would be better suited for off-roading yet still have some good capabilites if you occasionaly MX.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Between those 2 get the CRF for trail riding.  If you buy used make sure it has a recent top end with stainless steel valves.  If you're looking for a good trail bike, I wouldn't look at either of your 2 options though.

if you want a trail bike a post 06 (so 07 or newer) crf250x is the way to go. Then once you feel good on it and want a little more acceleration cut the pink wire, cut the air box, drill the exhaust, and buy a jd jetting kit and your set as a bet. there is a site dedicated to modding a crf250x, with awesome tips. Basically all free mods, except for the jetting kit. and chances are if your buying used someone already has had some work done to it, my dad just got his stock so he got to do the work himself. Read some post tho about problems people have with different years. just know everything before 07 were valve eaters. 

BTW awesome decision to go red, thats all i own and i love both my bikes and my quad thats 30 years old next year.

Edited by knero250