Sign in to follow this  

1998 Cr250 chain adjustment

Can someone tell me the size of the chain adjustment bolt on a cr250? My friend lost all my tools and I can't tell what size i need. I'm at work and wanna grab the right tools before I head to the sand pits tonight

10mm and 12mm are the most common.

I would think 10mm on the 98 but take both unless someone corrects me...

Thanks guys, I actually had an issue where the 10 mm head is stripped and the adjuster is seized in the swingarm. My chain is too tight and it's making my bike feel really bad over bumps

I would not ride anymore till you get that fixed.  Seems to me that would put a lot of stress on your countershaft bearing.  Hope you can get it out...that's a sucky place to try and get vice grips into.  Take the wheel off and try a 6-point wrench or socket.  Good luck.

heat and pb blaster, replace the bolt once you get it out and liberal amounts of grease or anti seize compound, clean and re apply every few months.

if the bolt breaks drill re tap and grease/anti seize. 

Heat the bolt or the swingarm? I have one bolt with rust or something in the inside, exterior is fine. I can adjust the bolt in but not out past a certain point. I drilled a very small hole just big enough for the little tube and applied PB Blast, it alone did not work. Thought I might cut it off as short as possible, cut a groove in it for a little screwdriver and just screw it into the swingarm and leave it and then use a new bolt. I don't think it would hurt anything. Not sure what to use to cut it off. ???

Edited by YHGEORGE

Heat the bolt or the swingarm? I have one bolt with rust or something in the inside, exterior is fine. I can adjust the bolt in but not out past a certain point. I drilled a very small hole just big enough for the little tube and applied PB Blast, it alone did not work. Thought I might cut it off as short as possible, cut a groove in it for a little screwdriver and just screw it into the swingarm and leave it and then use a new bolt. I don't think it would hurt anything. Not sure what to use to cut it off. ???

heat the swing arm, heat expands cold shrinks.

heat it up, spray pb blaster on the bolt, repeat a few times and see how it goes.

i like to do it in stages, turn the bolt out a bit then heat(the swing arm) and pb blaster it, thread it back in a bit and repeat, basically in and out with the bolt..if the bolt gets tight heat and pb blaster it, then back in and out.

does not always work, it all depends on how bad the bolt is, worst case is drilling and tapping it.

Edited by Excitable