Sign in to follow this  

Ford Diesel 6.0 - replacing turbo... Choices...

Hi,

I've read a bunch of stuff on the Internet from other sites, but I don't want to register just to pop a few questions since I've known this community for a long time. I'm sure somebody has replaced their Ford turbo on here!

Anyways, my turbo on my 2003 F350 crew is going out. Has a 110k miles on it.

I'm looking at getting a Barrett for the replacement but don't know which one. I can't afford the other turbos.

My questions are the following:

If I replace it with the Barrett Powermax, do you have to buy the SVT tuner to make it run right? I would like to buy the Powermax and maybe later add the tuner.

$1150 + 340 with tuner added down the road.

Or

Just replace it with an oem Barrett. Just curious, does it do any good if you did the SVT tune to the oem turbo?

$750

I'm really leaning to the oem. I only drive this truck 7 to 8k a year. From what I have watched on you tube, seems doable to put in myself. Any nightmare stories doing this replacement?

Thanks!

Edited by RMK800

There is a turbo rebuild kit from ford.

It's not really a hard job, the hardest part I would say is the exhaust clamps on the back are really stuck on there, a pry bar and a hammer is my method of choice. And there are 3 bolts that hold the turbo bracket to the block that are alittle tough to see, with the right extension and swivel they come right out. Grad a buddy on a Saturday with a 12 pack of beer.

Edited by DC_Excitement

Thanks for the info. Do you have any comments on the above?

Wow, then I'll go the Barrett route. 800 for oem Barrett or around 1150 for Powermax.

Edited by RMK800

Riff raff diesel has the Garrett turbo. Unless you have done all the work to make a 6.0 reliable I would not put a tuner ,larger turbo. Search 6.0 bullet proofing

• Like 2

Riff raff diesel has the Garrett turbo. Unless you have done all the work to make a 6.0 reliable I would not put a tuner ,larger turbo. Search 6.0 bullet proofing

Ya I've researched the egr delete and the cooler issue. That can be a mixed bag from what I have read. You can spend the money or could go 200k without it. Also if the coolent is leaking you can then do the mod, where it's not a total failure if your watching it. I always watch my coolent level.

You make valid points, do it all the way with the Powermax, egr, cooler etc or just stay with OEM Barrett.

Plus i would rather put money into a YZ450FX :)

Edited by RMK800

Ya I've researched the egr delete and the cooler issue. That can be a mixed bag from what I have read. You can spend the money or could go 200k without it. Also if the coolent is leaking you can then do the mod, where it's not a total failure if your watching it. I always watch my coolent level.

You make valid points, do it all the way with the Powermax, egr, cooler etc or just stay with OEM Barrett.

Don't forget the head studs ,

• Like 1

Don't forget the head studs ,

Right and injectors.

To be honest the truck looks damn good, but I try to keep it out of turbo as much as possible! Kinda hard with a 5th wheel and toys. I baby that truck. I get my adrenaline rush from my snowmobiles and dirt bikes, not blowing black smoke down a neighborhood and whistling the turbo.

I just need the turbo to work right when I'm pulling up hills.

• Like 1

Coolant level isn't good enough. You need to monitor the difference in temp between coolant and oil. Delta should be no more than 15°. IMO,if it's edging up past 8 using the test parameters, you probably are clogging up the oil cooler fins.

RiffRaff all the way. Clay will answer any questions and hook you up with a good price. Get a coolant filtration system too. Cheap insurance and removes all the silicates suspended. I also switched to CAT extended life coolant. Lots of things to read and learn, but I love my truck. Edited by BlueHeart

Right and injectors.

To be honest the truck looks damn good, but I try to keep it out of turbo as much as possible! Kinda hard with a 5th wheel and toys. I baby that truck. I get my adrenaline rush from my snowmobiles and dirt bikes, not blowing black smoke down a neighborhood and whistling the turbo.

I just need the turbo to work right when I'm pulling up hills.

If you're blowing black smoke, you're not tuned properly. Whistling is louder when people don't put a muffler on their exhaust or have an open cold air intake which isn't needed until over 600hp.

If you're blowing black smoke, you're not tuned properly. Whistling is louder when people don't put a muffler on their exhaust or have an open cold air intake which isn't needed until over 600hp.

Whatever, you get where I'm coming from. I could care less about how fast it is on flat streets where most of these kids are putting their money. I just want it to run right and pull right, I could care less if I'm the first up the road or Mountain.

They have some good prices, I'll check them out. Edited by RMK800

Whatever, you get where I'm coming from.

Whatever? Did I pissed you off with that comment? Sorry

I'm just trying to relate with how I use my truck. Nit picking the black smoke or the whistling turbo is not want I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with the original post? Or anything with oem Barrett or oem ford turbos? Don't think I'll do the Powermax based upon the good feedback.

It's Garrett, not Barrett. The Powermax is just a larger compressor than OEM. Unless you have larger injectors and are trying to clean up the burn, then there isn't a benefit. Using a OEM 05-07 is a better turbo, but requires a different pedestal. I have all the Bullet Proofing modifications and have 300,000km on my truck. Contact either Riffraff or Bulletproof Diesel. BPD is more 6.0L oriented than RR. 

It's Garrett, not Barrett. The Powermax is just a larger compressor than OEM. Unless you have larger injectors and are trying to clean up the burn, then there isn't a benefit. Using a OEM 05-07 is a better turbo, but requires a different pedestal. I have all the Bullet Proofing modifications and have 300,000km on my truck. Contact either Riffraff or Bulletproof Diesel. BPD is more 6.0L oriented than RR.

Thanks for the info. How hard is it to replace the pedestal? And is there significant cost with that. Really trying to keep this below 1k. Also, can you give me any info on why it's a better turbo if I buy from Garrett an 05. Edited by RMK800

I'm just trying to relate with how I use my truck. Nit picking the black smoke or the whistling turbo is not want I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with the original post? Or anything with oem Barrett or oem ford turbos? Don't think I'll do the Powermax based upon the good feedback.

Understood, but those are not nitpicks, those are known issues that affect the proper running of the truck. I mentioned them because that's exactly what those teenagers do, thinking it's cool, but it's not.

You need to slow down with your posts and reread them before you post. It's hard to understand what you have written with a few sentences. Like you won't get the Powermax because of the good reviews?

The 05-07 turbo was updated and performs better but still has issues pop up if you read enough about them.

The biggest red flag I see you posting is the amount of miles you intend to use it for. These trucks like and need to be driven. 7-8k isn't very much. The variable geometry of the compressor wheel can get stuck due to not running it enough. The Powermax is aluminum with ball bearings. Definitely better made than the stock turbo. I believe you can run Stage 1 without tuning, but you may encounter more turbo lag. Which isn't a big deal unless you're trying to push it.

I still suggest you sign up at FTE or Powerstroke.org to get specific answers. Or just read and read more of the stickies.

Thanks for the info. How hard is it to replace the pedestal? And is there significant cost with that. Really trying to keep this below 1k. Also, can you give me any info on why it's a better turbo if I buy from Garrett an 05.

If you can change a turbo, you can change the pedistal too. It's not cost effective unless you find it at a huge discount used. Edited by BlueHeart