Sign in to follow this  

XL600r, XR600R and XR650L parts compatibility. help please!

i ride a 97 XR650l. i recently got a 96 XR600R and an 87 XL600R as basket case parts bikes. i am hoping you guys can help me figure out what parts i can use on my 650L and what would actually be an upgrade. i plan on riding aggressive off-road so i want it to be as "dirtbike" as possible.

first question is: Would the 96 600R suspension be an upgrade for my 650L? is it even different?

Are the 600R cam's the same as the cam in my 650L? hoping i can send off one of my extras to be reground as an HRC. but i would like to keep my stock 650L cam.

i was told that the XL600R head may be ported to match the larger diameter primaries of its head pipe. is that true? can i use the XL600R head on my XR650l? if so, would it change the compression ratio? or cause any interference issues?

anything else you guys know of that i haven't thought of, id love to hear!

i am planning on using some of the parts to add a kickstarter to my 650L engine. i also think i probably have everything i need to build an  extra kick start only 600R engine. So, i think I'm going to try to put together the XR600R engine and swap it in so that i can start wrenching on my 650L engine.

thanks!

Your best bet for performance upgrading on the 650l is to just buy the usual  ,higher comp piston,cams, fcr carb ect. . Not much from the 600's will be an upgrade to the 650, stroke and bore differ among them and the bolt sizes(dowel pins also) change from 600l to the 650l so cylinder swapping becomes more time & $$ to no real benefit. Cams, cam chains, and sprockets changed as well. Now building the 600r you can use the 600l cylinder (bolt and dowel changes also IIRC) to get 100mm bore . If there is a 100mm piston for the 600r you can use the "r" crank , if you have to use an "L" piston , you must use the L crank due to wrist pin to piston top heights being different. With a good machinist things can be done for better combo's and great performing motors,as I've done to my own motors , but not with Honda's , still the same sort of mix-n-matching.

Edited by jjktmrider

The xl 600 head is dual carb head. Swapping it in would be a lot of work and would limit you to a very small number of carb choices. If I rember correctly, I think only the 83/84 xl600 had the larger head pipes and the later ones were smaller. I know that the 83/84 xl head pipe will work on a 650l.

The 600R has a lighter flywheel, weighs less, has different primary gearing and will work as a spare motor if bolted in entirely. If your goal is to rob the kickstarter out of the 600R, you will need it to be apart while working on the 650l so your logistics may be off a bit as far as keeping the bike running while the 650 motor is in surgery.

For off road only you may like the gearing, quicker response and lighter weight of the 600R motor better than the 650L. The obvious trade off is the loss of electric start. Keep in mind that losing the electric start will save weight on its own and then there are some related benefits like ditching the heavy large battery in favor of a capicitor or small lithium battery that can just power the lights and horn (you didnt say if you were intending on keeping the road legal stuff on the bike). Now that the battery is gone, i think you can make the 600r left side panel fit on your 650L to slim up the body a bit. If you do want to keep your horn and signals you will need to do some work on the 600R charging system as the 600R is an AC only system and will not charge a battery or run the horn or signal flasher. Your headlight and tail light will work on AC just fine. In order to keep the DC system working you can swap the stator and regulator/rectifier from the xl600 into the 600R motor and you will have the power to run everything and even charge your battery.

So here's how I would do it. To end up with a really light weight trail worthy kick only XR600L I would use the Xr600r motor, xl600r stator and regulator/rectifier, XR650L frame and suspension, battery box delete and Xr600R left side panel.

Now you need some aftermarket goodies. To generate a parts fund, put the xr600r stator into xl600r motor and sell the motor for parts money. Sell the xr650l motor for more parts money. Get the xr600r carb off that bike before the carb choke plate breaks in half and gets sucked into the motor, sell the carb.

Now its time to shop, start with the FCRMX 41mm carb, full exhaust and hi comp piston and cams. Now buy a set of twin chamber showa forks, triples, headlight and a front wheel off of a newer crfx and an emig racing conversion stem, put it all together and drop it off at a suspension shop to have it sprung and valved for your weight and riding style (rear shock too). Then, I think you're done.

I'm sure Im missing something here but this is how I would use the stuff you have to build an off road XRL that is still legal enough to get from trail to trail.

Edited by Backwoods-Bomber
  • Like 1

thanks for the advice. i think i have enough parts to build either one of the 600's and still get parts out of the other. just hadn't decided which one i was going to put together yet. my 650 already has the battery relocated with the flat 600 number plate.

can i only use kickstarter parts out of one of the engines? i thought i could take them out of either one.