Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket rim for a Warp9 hub

So I had a set of spanky Warp 9 wheels for my CRF delivered recently. 3 MX rounds later and the front rim has 2 big flat spots (yes the spokes were kept tight, I have a Tusk spoke torque wrench). So... the big question is, can Excel rims lace up to the Warp 9 hubs using the Warp spokes?

It would suck big time to have to front for a whole new front wheel just because of a cheesy rim when the hub, spokes, nipples and disc are all perfectly fine.

Anyone have any experience in this department?

So I had a set of spanky Warp 9 wheels for my CRF delivered recently. 3 MX rounds later and the front rim has 2 big flat spots (yes the spokes were kept tight, I have a Tusk spoke torque wrench). So... the big question is, can Excel rims lace up to the Warp 9 hubs using the Warp spokes?

It would suck big time to have to front for a whole new front wheel just because of a cheesy rim when the hub, spokes, nipples and disc are all perfectly fine.

Anyone have any experience in this department?

Take the hub and rim to a wheel guy and have him lace and true with some stainless Buchanan heavy duty spokes. That would be a very strong wheel then and you'll get no more flat spots.

I could be wrong but think stock spokes (Warp 9 are same as OEM) are too thin. When I had my Excels made up with the above spokes, he actually had to reem the hubs.

Thanks for the advice. I can lace my own wheels but the issue is my current rim is toast. I just want a stronger rim that will lace up to the Warp 9 hub and spokes. I don't want to ream out the hub for bigger gauge spokes. As long as the Warp 9 spokes/nipples will fit the rim without being too small then that's the rim I want.

Warp9 makes an "elite" rim. It is supposed to be made for MX and stronger. I have one, but it is my sand wheel and doesn't get abused like my stock wheel on the MX track.

Nice! I didn't know about the Warp 9 Elite rim, I reckon i'll have to lace one of those suckers up and see how she goes...thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Edited by Aussie_Glenn