Sign in to follow this  

front Brake pads 99 xr4

Hey all new to the forum and the bike ....I recently got a 99 xr4 I bought some new front pads for it but they aren't even close to the ones that are on the bike all of the images I have looked at look like the pads I bought so I'm not sure what to do ??is it possible someone changed the caliper if so what other calipers bolt right up like that ?thanks in advance

Can you find a part# or any info on the old pads that might help us identify them?

What replacement pads did you buy?

Might help us identify your caliper if you posted a picture.

Edited by Trailryder42

All my XR4's and XR's period  have used the same pads as my CR's. Dbl check the numbers as suggested. Or take your old ones and compare them with someone who has an XR4, a CR or at your local dealer.  I think it is very unlikely someone changed the caliper.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Hey all new to the forum and the bike ....I recently got a 99 xr4 I bought some new front pads for it but they aren't even close to the ones that are on the bike all of the images I have looked at look like the pads I bought so I'm not sure what to do ??is it possible someone changed the caliper if so what other calipers bolt right up like that ?thanks in advance

eBay brake pads by any chance?? & you purchased just the front pads correct?

This happened to me once, they look correct in the images but it's not until they arrive that you find out they are physically larger & will not fit.

I order them as a set of front & rear now & never have

XR front pads on the right, incorrect eBay pads on the left.

99XR4

Edited by Still-learning

The pads on the bike are completely different they also use 2 pins to hold them in place where the ones I bought only use 1...sorry no pic at this time but do your xr4's use one or 2 pins?

One with a little hook on the other end. Hmmm, that caliper may be bogus.

Edited by YHGEORGE

We have to remember he lives in Newfoundland. It wouldn't be the first time bikes speced for a different market would have different parts than how ours are outfitted in the US or other countries. The trick in those instances is to be sure you're buying parts for a bike speced for the market your bike was sold in.

Edited by Trailryder42

Ya the pads I bought look just like that 1 hole and a hook all the microfiches I've looked at show those pads and the caliper that they fit....I'm thinking now maybe someone swapped fork tubes? I really don't know what else I can do... I couldn't see the pic you posted -still learning

Just an update I have been doing some research and found a caliper and pad set up that looks alot like mine and it's from a 85 xr350 I also found the measurements of the pad so I guess I will have haul mine off again and break out the measuring tape

Wow!! Back in the day, people used to fit XR4 front brakes to XR500's & 350's to improve stopping..

You have unfortunately caught the arse end of this... Check front pads to suit those two bikes, it may work for you.

So still learning I gather from that that the caliper from the xr 350/500 does bolt in place on the xr4? I know the master cylinder has been changed and does not belong to the bike I'm thinking now that it's was probably all used from an older bike