Sign in to follow this  

Oil level

I have changes my oil a bunch of times and I have never pulled the oil level screw out, I always just put the amount the manual says (about 27 oz). This time I pulled the screen out while I filled it and oil came out at about 20 oz. Should I just keep putting the recommended amount or should I stop when the oil comes out?

• Like 1

Most people do not remove the check bolt and just fill with the reccomended amount. I'd even venture a guess that most pull in a full quart in the bikes that suggest .7 or.8 liters under the impression that a little extra is good, I'm not one of those people. I fill my bike with the reccomended amount .7liters on a 200. 

• Like 1

Most people do not remove the check bolt and just fill with the reccomended amount. I'd even venture a guess that most pull in a full quart in the bikes that suggest .7 or.8 liters under the impression that a little extra is good, I'm not one of those people. I fill my bike with the reccomended amount .7liters on a 200.

why do most people not pull the check bolt?

why do most people not pull the check bolt?

Two reasons really I "believe" most people dont pull it. 

1. They know they over filled it and oil will come out, making a mess. 

2. They're afraid they'll strip it putting it back in. 

I don't pull it becase I measure the oil before I put it in and I know there's enough oil in there.

• Like 5

With the oil fill on the same side as the check bolt you'll have oil coming out it before all the oil gets to the other side.  If you let the bike sit level for awhile you'll find it needs more oil than what the bolt level initially showed.  Closer to the specified amount. 

• Like 1

With the oil fill on the same side as the check bolt you'll have oil coming out it before all the oil gets to the other side. If you let the bike sit level for awhile you'll find it needs more oil than what the bolt level initially showed. Closer to the specified amount.

So do you pull and check the level or pour in specified amount?

The level bolt is the easiest one to strip on a KTM. You can do it without trying.

Yeah I was very worried about stripping it. I stripped the one on my crf. At this point I'm going to put a little less so it's not over full. From what I hear the 2 strokes are not as critical about the oil like a 4 stroke

So do you pull and check the level or pour in specified amount?

Done both depending on mood.   The ktm level bolt isn't near as fragile as the crf.

I always toss my 300 on the stand and pull the check bolt when filling up the trans oil. They just have to be snug, using he-man strength causes the threads to get beat/stretched and then to strip. Steel bolt....aluminum inner cover....

• Like 1

As long as the engine is warmed up and you give it enough time to drain, i see no problem with putting in the factory recommended amount and not messing with the overflow bolt. Even though i still do it that way

I stripped mine. And yes, I you fill til it comes out. Then let it sit for a while and come back. It will need more. Especially with the thicker oils. Not so much with atf.

When I stripped mine, I pulled the cover and took it my shop and machine it out and converted it to a sight glass. I like sight glasses better.

• Like 2

I stripped mine. And yes, I you fill til it comes out. Then let it sit for a while and come back. It will need more. Especially with the thicker oils. Not so much with atf.

When I stripped mine, I pulled the cover and took it my shop and machine it out and converted it to a sight glass. I like sight glasses better.

i want to see a pick of the sight glass please
  • Like 1

I stripped mine. When I stripped mine, I pulled the cover and took it my shop and machine it out and converted it to a sight glass. I like sight glasses better.

Bit of a thread jack, but I have the same problem. Can you post a picture? I like the idea of a site glass as an option with the countershaft seal that never seems to quite dripping and 20hr recommended oil change interval. What part number did you use for the site glass?

i don't have a close up of it.  but i have this picture.  it is covered in a thin coat of mud.

i'll see if i can crop the pic in a little bit.

IMG_20141221_152331782.jpg

Edited by hawaii500_1999

if i remember I'll snap a pic again tonight for you guys.

it is covered in mud now too though. LOL  i rode a lot on the weekend.  didn't clean it yet.

here is the previous one that is cropped.

IMG_20141221_152331782.jpg