Sign in to follow this  

Crossfit and moto

I have been doing crossfit competitively for about 6 months now and thought I'd give my opinion on how it has affected my riding ability.

I would say I am a mid pack A rider in the desert and just decent at track riding. Before crossfit about halfway through a 100 mile course I would start to make small mistakes as I got tired. After crossfit I am much more fluid and relaxed and don't get arm pump anymore. I am a firm believer that seat time is the best way to get into shape for riding, but crossfit seems to get you in shape for just about anything you do.

I know alot of people will say crossfit is stupid and dangerous. But in reality, bad coaches and bad boxes are what is dangerous. Find a good box and stick with crossfit for a few months and I guarantee you will agree with me!

Anyone else out there do crossfit?

• Like 1

Desertbound - I agree with you 100% that being strong with developed balance is THE key element to going both fast and for a long time.  Like you said, bad coaches and bad boxes are the issue.  Add to this a clear focus of why you are training - to be faster on the motorcycle.  Pay attention to signs associated with over-training and you will be amazed how much better you will feel on the bike.  Keep up the good work!

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb

blogentry-404843-0-05581000-1438367297.g

I was a regular "3 sets of 10" Globo gym guy for a while until my girlfriend convinced my to try Crossfit.... I haven't been back to a "Globo gym" in about 2 years.

Edited by Truck216
  • Like 1

The only thing that crossfit has done for me is make all my riding gear to big. haha

if you're getting too skinny from doing Crossfit you need to take the strength portion more seriously. I do two days CrossFit one day Olympic lifting and have jumped from 175 to 195 since starting crossfit earlier this year.
  • Like 1

if you're getting too skinny from doing Crossfit you need to take the strength portion more seriously. I do two days CrossFit one day Olympic lifting and have jumped from 175 to 195 since starting crossfit earlier this year.

Thanks for the advice, but I've gone from 264 to 215. So I am happy with the results that crossfit has had but my wallet not so much. Haha.

Thanks for the advice, but I've gone from 264 to 215. So I am happy with the results that crossfit has had but my wallet not so much. Haha.

That's good! Alot of people I know that go from a globo gym to crossfit complain about "getting too small" so i figured thats what you were getting at. And yes crossfit is hard on the wallet for sure! Edited by desertbound1024

That's good! Alot of people I know that go from a globo gym to crossfit complain about "getting too small" so i figured thats what you were getting at. And yes crossfit is hard on the wallet for sure!

Most CF boxes aren't bad but I saw some deadlifts at the national crossfit games last year that make me cringe.
  • Like 1

Most CF boxes aren't bad but I saw some deadlifts at the national crossfit games last year that make me cringe.

hahaha I think I know which ones you're talking about too!! It's the nature of the beast a billion people watching and you're going for weight people are bound to get nervous. I just left my CF box to do my own set up in the garage. Its a little hard on the initial investment but I look forward to scaring my neighbors with all the noise!!

hahaha I think I know which ones you're talking about too!! It's the nature of the beast a billion people watching and you're going for weight people are bound to get nervous. I just left my CF box to do my own set up in the garage. Its a little hard on the initial investment but I look forward to scaring my neighbors with all the noise!!

I was able to buy a bar, a Rogue Castro, from a box that was closing for $100. I bought my flooring from a feed and tack store. Bumpers I bought new. I am considering a folding rig.

I picked up most of my stuff from craigslist, horse mats from TSC and bar and plates from Xtraining equipment they do free shipping on almost all of their stuff

I started crossfit with a buddy who competes in his garage. It was funny to see people peeking out their windows watching us. Definitely got stares doing sled pulls around the block haha

Here is my take on Crossfit:

I've been weight lifting since age 14(now 30). It all started when my hockey coach said "you'd be able to really crush guys into the boards if you worked out your shoulders". I took it as a challenge and been into it ever since. I've been part of multiple gyms, done multiple programs, hit highs, been in lows, ect. I've been doing CF for the last 3 years. What I like about Crossfit is the overall fitness concept. I feel I can do anything at any given moment, bench 275, run a under 20 minute 5K's, Moto/Ski all day with little muscle fatigue, and I'm the most flexible I've ever been. My gym is 95$ a month, its good sized but has had a huge increase in membership with the start of winter, and the 5-6pm time is a zoo. The coaches there are obsessive about form and will stop anyone who isn't using it. This is my take on it.  

• Like 1

Here is my take on Crossfit:

I've been weight lifting since age 14(now 30). It all started when my hockey coach said "you'd be able to really crush guys into the boards if you worked out your shoulders". I took it as a challenge and been into it ever since. I've been part of multiple gyms, done multiple programs, hit highs, been in lows, ect. I've been doing CF for the last 3 years. What I like about Crossfit is the overall fitness concept. I feel I can do anything at any given moment, bench 275, run a under 20 minute 5K's, Moto/Ski all day with little muscle fatigue, and I'm the most flexible I've ever been. My gym is 95$ a month, its good sized but has had a huge increase in membership with the start of winter, and the 5-6pm time is a zoo. The coaches there are obsessive about form and will stop anyone who isn't using it. This is my take on it.  

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Nailed it! A lot of people seem to hate Crossfit for mixing lifting and cardio in the same hour! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: