running in winter

why my bike sound like it has liquid in the tailpipe? I read here that you should start your bike once a week during the winter. My bike is kept in a garage with no heat so its freezing cold in the garage. It starts and it runs but it sounds like there is liquid in the pipe or something like that. Is it not a good idea to start the bike and run it during the winter? And if that is liquid in the pipe is it likely gas or water? And what problems can it cause? If there is liquid in the pipe does it need to be drained somehow?

Starting during storage may also create condensation, I would suggest not staring it unless you actually ride it for a while.

Exactly. Just like a car, the worst thing you can do is start it and shut it off without allowing it to warm up to operating temperature which prevents condensation from happening. 

Now if the issue now is the liquid sound, my thoughts turn to how it got in there?

• Like 2

why my bike sound like it has liquid in the tailpipe? I read here that you should start your bike once a week during the winter. My bike is kept in a garage with no heat so its freezing cold in the garage. It starts and it runs but it sounds like there is liquid in the pipe or something like that. Is it not a good idea to start the bike and run it during the winter? And if that is liquid in the pipe is it likely gas or water? And what problems can it cause? If there is liquid in the pipe does it need to be drained somehow?

could be a rats nest, or just water. starting the bike means RIDING the bike, and getting it to full temperature. the only thing you will do by starting and NOT warming it completely up is introduce water into the gearbox, carb, tailpipe, etc  through condensation.

START  = ride

no start = it's fine

get a battery tender, mix up some two stroke fuel (50:1 is fine) for stabilization with NON ethanol gas, and let it sit. in the spring it will happily spring to life and be happy to run (and smoke) until you run a new tank of fuel. 

yes, it will be fine running extra-lube premix. yes, i'm sure. ? have fun. 

• Like 3

I too, subscribe to the don't start unless you're gonna ride it concept.  All you are doing is introducing condensation (that will likely get to sit for a good long time).

On the same subject, I haven't winterized mine yet here in Michigan (other bikes are all done), as I JUST got it, however, will be doing soon.  I'm a major proponent of Sta-Bil, which has worked great for me for years. In some bikes, I'll leave the stabilized fuel in the carbs, with zero ill effect come spring.  For this 400, which is obviously new to me, do you all drain the bowl?  Appears easy enough, of course, but I notice there's no real off position on the petcock?  Forgive the newbness.

• Like 2

How long is too long for a bike to sit in a cold garage? I try to ride my bike through the winter when we catch a warmer day or sometimes take her out in the snow. But in the dead of winter sometimes this can be a few weeks. I never knew starting it in the garage for 5/10 mins is actually worse.. Do you think there are any issues letting it sit up to 2/3 weeks? Or how long is too long to let it sit?

• Like 1

I too, subscribe to the don't start unless you're gonna ride it concept.  All you are doing is introducing condensation (that will likely get to sit for a good long time).

On the same subject, I haven't winterized mine yet here in Michigan (other bikes are all done), as I JUST got it, however, will be doing soon.  I'm a major proponent of Sta-Bil, which has worked great for me for years. In some bikes, I'll leave the stabilized fuel in the carbs, with zero ill effect come spring.  For this 400, which is obviously new to me, do you all drain the bowl?  Appears easy enough, of course, but I notice there's no real off position on the petcock?  Forgive the newbness.

For the bikes I don't use all winter, I drain the tank & bowl.  For the one(s) I run all year, I just drain the bowl after every use.

• Like 1

How long is too long for a bike to sit in a cold garage? I try to ride my bike through the winter when we catch a warmer day or sometimes take her out in the snow. But in the dead of winter sometimes this can be a few weeks. I never knew starting it in the garage for 5/10 mins is actually worse.. Do you think there are any issues letting it sit up to 2/3 weeks? Or how long is too long to let it sit?

Sometimes mine sits 2/3 weeks without riding, I always drain the bowl though, never  a problem.

At one time I had 8 bikes in the line-up, kept all tanks full with premium (as always) & no additives.  

Started & rode them every spring with the same fuel, again never a problem...

• Like 2

My bike is going in my cozy basement since I dont have a garage. Do I need to put the battery on a trickle charger or just let sit?

Just trickle charge it to 100% once a month.  I say this because the wires on my Battery Tender started to melt once !  :eek:

And this was right after my friend left his garage lights on and came over for a minute...and his garage burned down !!!   :jawdrop:

So now I'm paranoid and never leave it unattended.  :unsure:

• Like 2

drain the carb, flush it with fresh fuel, charge the battery, ride.

if it fails to idle smoothly, clean the jets and coke circuit.

change the oil after a nice long ride. no big deal

Sometimes mine sits 2/3 weeks without riding, I always drain the bowl though, never  a problem.

At one time I had 8 bikes in the line-up, kept all tanks full with premium (as always) & no additives.  

Started & rode them every spring with the same fuel, again never a problem...

I've never drained the bowl before but it seems the previous owner completely stripped the drain screw.. Any alternative to drain the bowl besides getting that screw out? Couldn't I just disconnect the fuel line and run it dry?

• Like 1

I've never drained the bowl before but it seems the previous owner completely stripped the drain screw.. Any alternative to drain the bowl besides getting that screw out? Couldn't I just disconnect the fuel line and run it dry?

I would try to get the drain screw out, might mean taking the carb off.

Yes, you could run it dry if you had too.