Sign in to follow this  

99 XR70R - Not Running - Christmas Present

Hello

I just picked up a 99 XR70R that is not running. Going to try and get it running and clean it up for a Christmas Present.

Two issues I have noticed so far.

1. when the fuel is on - it starts dripping rapidly out of the bottom of the carb out of the bowel drain.

2. No Spark - Pulled plug and grounded - kicked motor over and do not see the plug sparking.

Assume the carb needs a good cleaning/rebuild. Where do I need to start with the spark issue?

Thanks!

IMG_1614.jpg

If the carb is leaking it could be two things. The float valve seat is worn and not sealing or the float height is off not causing it to seal. A carb rebuild kit will fix your issue.

Edited by RMK800

The float is not adjustable on that one. Probably dirt in the carb. These have a fuel filter in the tank. Check to make sure it isn't torn.

Along with the switch being on, like mentioned above, there is also a key that needs to be turned on. It is located behind the front wheel, mounted on the frame. It is easy to overlook.

Edited by 351mustanger

Hello

I just picked up a 99 XR70R that is not running. Going to try and get it running and clean it up for a Christmas Present.

Two issues I have noticed so far.

1. when the fuel is on - it starts dripping rapidly out of the bottom of the carb out of the bowel drain.

2. No Spark - Pulled plug and grounded - kicked motor over and do not see the plug sparking.

Assume the carb needs a good cleaning/rebuild. Where do I need to start with the spark issue?

Thanks!

You can adjust the float height on these carbs.  I am not sure its recommended or was designed, but you can bend the tab that holds the float needle.  but as mentined before, a carb rebuild is not a bad idea at all.  it is time and money well spent on a bike that is 16 years old and no history is known.

yes, try all the obvious for getting spark.  but also replace the plug and ensure the wire at the top of the frame and under the tank is grounded.  check all connections and ensure they are clean of debris.  the connections on the cdi can become fouled with dirt and patina over time.

if this was me, I would do a complete tear down and check of everything.  parts are cheap and it probably needs other things besides just being ablk to start.  chain and sprockets, bearings, fresh brake pads, everything cleaned and re-greased. if this is for the lad, and you want him to enjoy it, make sure it will last.  money spent now is much better than planning a ride, the bike doesnt work, you get out there and the chain snaps due to wear, or the brakes freeze up due to rust and corrosion.  and it give you a new starting pint on maintenance and parts and the bikes history.  we have 8 bikes in the garage and a little bit of work each time they come back from the track or trails saves a lot of heart ache for the next trip and ruined adventures.

You can adjust the float height on these carbs. I am not sure its recommended or was designed, but you can bend the tab that holds the float needle.

The float and tab are made as one piece. All plastic. If you try to bend it, it will most likely break or slowly move back to where it was. If the float level is unacceptable your best bet would be a new float and inlet needle.

The float and tab are made as one piece. All plastic. If you try to bend it, it will most likely break or slowly move back to where it was. If the float level is unacceptable your best bet would be a new float and inlet needle.

So clearly you are wrong and I had to go out and check the carb myself just to prove you wrong.  boy, am I a dumb ass.  i changed this carb out a few years back to a Mikuni.  old one was in a box, sitting there, with a one piece plastic float and tab for the needle.  

as mustanger said, do not mess with it.  it could end up being very much bad :facepalm:

So clearly you are wrong and I had to go out and check the carb myself just to prove you wrong. boy, am I a dumb ass. i changed this carb out a few years back to a Mikuni. old one was in a box, sitting there, with a one piece plastic float and tab for the needle.

as mustanger said, do not mess with it. it could end up being very much bad :facepalm:

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel stupid and I wasn't trying to be a know it all. I just didn't want the guy to put himself in a bad position. I have rebuilt a couple of these bikes, from basket cases, with blown up transmissions. I don't claim to know all there is to know about them, but I have been through them inside and out.

Edited by 351mustanger

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel stupid and I wasn't trying to be a know it all. I just didn't want the guy to put himself in a bad position. I have rebuilt a couple of these bikes, from basket cases, with blown up transmissions. I don't claim to know all there is to know about them, but I have been through them inside and out.

Its all good.  we are just here to help when we can.  you are absolutely right and jacking with that plastic float could have caused a more issues.  hopefully it works out for him

we've got three of these things and they are a ton of fun to play on and with.  the next project will be to make one street legal.  we'll see if I can sneak that by the DMV