Sign in to follow this  

Oversized fuel tank YZ 125

Need advice : I have to buy a new gas tank and I want to get an oversized tank

but from pics I have seen it looks like it would make changing plug or cleaning

in that area. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most will need the tank taken off to change the plug. Just carry a 10mm and your good to go.

Not correct. Only one hinders plug access.

Do a search as this has been discussed often, but this is my usual reply:

None of the tanks are satisfactory in my opinion.  You have to pick the one that is least offensive to you.  Things to consider:

1. The Zip Ty tank prevents access to the plug.  I'm sure someone will reply with "I haven't changed a plug in 10 years" or some other statistically unlikely statement, but the fact is that two strokes need tuning for optimal performance, and having to remove the tank to get at the plug/carb makes tuning that much harder.  I personally would never buy a tank that limited access to the plug.

2. The Acerbis tank seems to be universally acclaimed for its fit and finish, but just look at the pictures.  Only buy the Acerbis tank if you plan on never having children.

3. Clarke tanks are derided for their fit and finish, and I know from personal experience that their customer support is about as bad as it gets.  Never again will I buy a Clark product.

4. The IMS tank currently sits on my YZ.  The fit is terrible. It rubs the frame on my aluminum 06, but fits the steel 03 better.  Shrouds had to be extensively modified on both bikes, and the seat/tank junction is not great on either bike.  It came full of plastic dust and shavings from the manufacturing process (Really, you can't clean a $250 product before sending it to a customer???).  Finally, I had to block sand the petcock mounting area to stop leaks.  It still gets "wet" around the petcock, but it took sanding to stop leaks as the mounting surface was not flat.  

Having done all that complaining, I will say that a large tank is nice to have once it is set up, and skipping a pit stop can often be the difference between winning or not in off road racing.  But I just can't believe how much crap you have to go through to make a $200+ dollar product work.  If you don't need it for racing, I would recommend saving your money.

• Like 1

Not correct. Only one hinders plug access.

Do a search as this has been discussed often, but this is my usual reply:

None of the tanks are satisfactory in my opinion. You have to pick the one that is least offensive to you. Things to consider:

1. The Zip Ty tank prevents access to the plug. I'm sure someone will reply with "I haven't changed a plug in 10 years" or some other statistically unlikely statement, but the fact is that two strokes need tuning for optimal performance, and having to remove the tank to get at the plug/carb makes tuning that much harder. I personally would never buy a tank that limited access to the plug.

2. The Acerbis tank seems to be universally acclaimed for its fit and finish, but just look at the pictures. Only buy the Acerbis tank if you plan on never having children.

3. Clarke tanks are derided for their fit and finish, and I know from personal experience that their customer support is about as bad as it gets. Never again will I buy a Clark product.

4. The IMS tank currently sits on my YZ. The fit is terrible. It rubs the frame on my aluminum 06, but fits the steel 03 better. Shrouds had to be extensively modified on both bikes, and the seat/tank junction is not great on either bike. It came full of plastic dust and shavings from the manufacturing process (Really, you can't clean a $250 product before sending it to a customer???). Finally, I had to block sand the petcock mounting area to stop leaks. It still gets "wet" around the petcock, but it took sanding to stop leaks as the mounting surface was not flat.

Having done all that complaining, I will say that a large tank is nice to have once it is set up, and skipping a pit stop can often be the difference between winning or not in off road racing. But I just can't believe how much crap you have to go through to make a $200+ dollar product work. If you don't need it for racing, I would recommend saving your money.

your correct. Maybe it would have been better for me to say "most make it more of a PITA to change a plug"

I myself have the ims on my 2014 yz250 and thought the fit and finish was great. I still prefer taking the tank off to do a plug or to get to the carb to adjust my needle, but that's just me.

Edited by desertbound1024

I have an Acerbis. I can change my plug. I have to loosen it and slide it up to really access the carb. No biggie.

I agonized over the high fill neck for a while. I have gone over the handlebars and eaten it pretty good a time of two. I did not find the tank to be an issue one bit. It is one of the best things I have gotten for the bike. It is a must if you take long rides. I would get one again in a second.

• Like 1

I second the Clarke opinion not a very good fit and I'm still having issues with the petcock sealing. The Zip- ty's are the best looking IMO. The plug access shouldn't be that big of a deal, maybe for the first 30mins if you're riding somewhere new.

Here we go again... HAHAHAHAHA.....

Get the one YOU like. No matter what, a plug is easy to change with a couple twists of a 10mm socket. Even the stock tank makes it difficult.

What is the size in gallons you are looking for?

Do you care if it is FUGLY?

Do you care if it is fatter?

Do you care if it is taller?

Do you care if it bends the seat up a little in the front?

Do you like the looks of it?

Does it work for you?

Are you desert racing where time means everything?

Zip Ty on all three of my YZ bikes. One bike I built and store for a guy from the UK has the Acerbis.

I like the Zip Ty.

I know IMS makes it and they are a great company.

I only wished they would have made the oversized for my Beta. It's a Clarke and is FUGLY but functional for 140 miles of cross country. 

I can change a plug faster than you can adjust your chain...

Check the search function, read up... Opinions are like_________ well, you know.... Everyone has one. 

Edited by PALMER84ONE
  • Like 2

Need advice : I have to buy a new gas tank and I want to get an oversized tank

but from pics I have seen it looks like it would make changing plug or cleaning

in that area. Any advice would be appreciated.

Running out of gas SUCKS, I love my 3.6 IMS. I can change my plug w/o removing tank.

1448326335151.jpg

• Like 1

Running out of gas SUCKS, I love my 3.6 IMS. I can change my plug w/o removing tank.

Technically yes, running out does suck as long as its:

Not you.

You are not in direct sunlight on a hot day.

You have oil if it is.

One of your ride buddies rides a 2T also.

But... it is funner than a 3 dollar hoe to make fun of the guy that does. happend this week and I was the only guy with a full tank of 2T mix, the rest had 4T's, one was EFI not goin to pull his hose and no syphon, the other was on a carb bike but no transfer container. SO..... Off with the WR tank, and under a KTM for transfer. Good times and guess who had to make dinner back at camp... Almost like, hit the ground buy the round when we do a Barstow to Bar ride... LOL damn four strokes.... 

• Like 1

Not you.

You have oil if it is.

But... it is funner than a 3 dollar hoe to make fun of the guy that does. happend this week and I was the only guy with a full tank of 2T mix, the rest had 4T's, one was EFI not goin to pull his hose and no syphon, the other was on a carb bike but no transfer container. SO..... Off with the WR tank, and under a KTM for transfer. Good times and guess who had to make dinner back at camp... Almost like, hit the ground buy the round when we do a Barstow to Bar ride... LOL damn four strokes.... 

:facepalm:  :doh:  :banghead:

• Like 1

Not you.

You have oil if it is.

LOL...yeah, last time for me was 5 years ago on the 81 YZ465 (before I sold it) !  :cry:   Way out in 'BFE', stopped to get gas and head back to camp.

Gas station was out of business !   :eek:  Looked at the stepson & said, you're gonna be towing me, (he was on my 250EX).

Sure enough, even with a Clarke 4 gal...ran out about 5 miles from headquarters.  :doh:  :lol:  :lol:  :lame:  :facepalm:

• Like 1

The Zip Ty IMS is a race spec'd tank. It sits low, carries the fuel low and doesn't interfere with the riders postion. If you are constantly fiddling with plugs then you need to work on your mechanical skills...

• Like 2

You guy's Crack me up"

On a 125 You can change the plug with out removing the Gas tank, Even on the ZipTy I know because I have done it and this would not be possible on the 250.

The 125 needs the bigger tank more than the 250.

Despite what is being said about the  Clarke tank I thing that one is the least troublesome. The Zip-Ty feels much better when riding.

The zip ty is much more labor intensive to fit the first time but well worth the afternoon you spend doing it. Radiator braces are much more difficult to fit on the right side of the Zip-ty as there is only one tank mount on the left. They all have their petcock issues. The Yamaha petcock is so easy to modify. it has fore,aft and down fuel tube bosses just drill out the position you want and plug the remaining hole. the brass tube is a very gentle press fit and comes out easy.

Good luck