Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR500

Hello, I have just purchased a Honda XR500 and I have a boat load of questions about it and many repairs/mods to make. I dont see a discussion specific to this model, am I missing it or should I just post my questions here?

Dont expect it to ride like a 450MXer!

its a 36 year old Enduro bike which wasn't perfect from new.

Hardest parts to find now are decent gearbox parts, so treat it with a bit of respect.

the oil system is only just up to the job, so change the oil often.

There is a screen, but no filter,  (inside the right engine cover) that needs checking every few oil changes.

no bearings on camshaft, another good reason to change the oil lots.

make sure you get the de-comp working correctly, and learn how to start a big four stroke,

bust the kickstart shaft and the whole engine/box has to come apart.

look after it, treat it well and it'll go for years.

for all the niggly issues these old things have, they're still a great bike to ride. Comfy,low seat, torquey engine, basic maintenance.

Hello, I have just purchased a Honda XR500 and I have a boat load of questions about it and many repairs/mods to make. I dont see a discussion specific to this model, am I missing it or should I just post my questions here?

You'll get some help, but much more specific in the 600/650cc forum which should be called the "big bore" forum.  ;)

Plenty of discussions about 350's in the 250/400 forum. 

Hell yeah glad to see some other XR500's out there... I just picked up an 83 a little while ago and the top end has got some clicking... Going to adjust the valves this week and see if that fixes it. Does anyone have a diagram of how the decomp lever works? Mine feels "loose"; it wiggles and moves freely... also only connects to the kick starter and not a separate lever. 

Hell yeah glad to see some other XR500's out there... I just picked up an 83 a little while ago and the top end has got some clicking... Going to adjust the valves this week and see if that fixes it. Does anyone have a diagram of how the decomp lever works? Mine feels "loose"; it wiggles and moves freely... also only connects to the kick starter and not a separate lever. 

Check the clearance with piston at TDC where both valves are closed and the tappets have a little play. The compression lever on the head at that position should only have 1-2 mm of play.