Sign in to follow this  

Texas OLD TIMERS, OTHERS, SW COLORADO RIDE?

I know there are some old timers in Texas (and other parts of the south)  who did the trails around Silverton, Lake city, Ouray and Telluride years ago.  Don't remember names, but met several of you.  If you are interested in a nostalgic ride in September, got to the Rocky mountain regional section and look for the thread called "Nostalgic SW Colorado ride?"

• Like 1

I know there are some old timers in Texas (and other parts of the south)  who did the trails around Silverton, Lake city, Ouray and Telluride years ago.  Don't remember names, but met several of you.  If you are interested in a nostalgic ride in September, got to the Rocky mountain regional section and look for the thread called "Nostalgic SW Colorado ride?"

There's a lot of folks over on Two Wheeled Texans http://www.twtex.com/forums/index.php who go up there. A couple of years ago, I went with several from the Clear Lake area (south of Houston) and we did a run over to Silverton from Ouray. The next 4 days, we did a loop out of Ouray to Gunnison, Gunnison to Crested Butte, Crested Butte to Delta, and then back to Ouray through Telluride taking as many trails and dirt roads as possible. Was my first exposure to large rocks, especially coming out of Taylor Park. By the last day, the altitude was really affecting me and I didn't make it to Telluride; just went straight back to Ouray from Delta.

Edited by jbird710

710, You did some long loops, and evidently several miles on the highwys. Saw a lot of pretty country.  I planned to stay closer to the 4 towns and only get on the highway when we have too.  Would prefer to ride my bike that is not street legal, if can get away with it. 

If you didn't go over Imogene pass from Ouray to Telluride you missed one of the prettiest rides in the country.  Maybe you can do it next summer.  But if the altitude gets to you, there might be a problem.  If I remember correctly, it is over 12,000 ft. at the pass.  Tell the guys at twtex about the proposed ride.

My experience there since '72 is to allow at least one day of acclimation to the high country after coming up from Tejas. It really helps. If you exert yourself too much too quickly you are asking for trouble. I drive from the very SE part of the state and it is a two day drive: a day to settle in and dbl check everything helps a lot. And yes, I am very int in that Nostalgia ride.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Anyone wanting to do the Silverton, Lake City, Ouray, Telluride area in Sept, we are shooting for a start on Monday, Sept 12 from Silverton.  To keep up to date about the ride go to the Rocky Mountain regional section, "Nostalgic SW Colo ride" thread.  The plan is to ride 2 to 4(?)  days, and then some of us are going to The Salida area for a couple of days.