XR500

Just got an XR500, rough around the edges but with some work it will be killer. Tons of questions to ask. dont see a 500 specific forum. Anyone here have experience working on these?

Great pics, nice work. Mine looks the same as the first pic, much dirtier however. Got a carb rebuild kit and the clymer manual. First step is to get it running, it will catch for a few revs then die. Carb is leaking like a sieve so I will start there. I notice the air filter is an aftermarket foam job. I know for some bikes this can change the airflow dynamics enough to make it a problem so I am wondering if it will be an issue with this one. Also, this xr was plated for the road, and I would like to ride it on the road. It has no signals tailight or battery. What are my best options for adding these things. I imagine the 6v dyno on it makes crap current as it was only designed to make a spark. Looking at a capacitor set up I found online:

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2000-2006-Honda-XR650-XR-650-R-Regulator-Rectifier

But will the stock dyno run it? Can I use the rotor/stator from an XL to get better current? Is this a direct swap? I read somewhere you can add more copper winding to the stator coil to get more current, ever heard of this? Also, the exhaust header is decent, but the silencer portion is a frankenstien of shitty tubing that looks to have been welded by my 3 year old. Know of any affordable stock looking reproductions?

Message_1448121020423.jpg

20151120_195517.jpg

Possibly you should read the below,,One of the guys that were working on it may add more at some stage..

xr600 stator in xr500 - will it fit? - XR600/650 - ThumperTalk

Also..Not a lot wrong with a 6 volt system..Stator charges the battery,,lights etc run from there. They should also all run without the battery. It was the first thing along with the indicators we got rid of in the old days..You still had lights and a horn,,that was enough for our version of a DMV back in the day..

Both of my 79's are street legal. The XR is legal "As Is" She never had turn signals or a horn from the factor as far as I know. The last, and only other owner of the XR, send me the registration papers that he had when the bike was street registered in Cincinnati. All I had to submit to the NC DMV were those papers, which then grandfathered the bike in here in NC to be street legal from the way it left the factory in 79, having no turn signals or horn. The XR & XT are also antique vehicles now, so they don't need any inspections (not even a safety inspection) here in NC anymore. All I have to do is pay the taxes of $1.80 per bike annually, and NC / DMV are good to go.

About your carb, get it rebuild and then go from there. I had a lot of issues with the sick XT carb, which I eventually changed out to a Makuni TM 36 flat slide, which fixed all of my XT's issues. My stock Honda carb had never given me any issues, so I would think that your stock carb should do fine after the rebuild even if you don't have the correct air filter unit hooked up right now. 

I had issues with blowing the light bulbs out as soon as I installed a new one, so I checked the voltage, which measured right at 12.5 volts. I didn't check the electrical system any further since my issues were fixed after I installed 12 volt bulbs. The last owner must have upgraded the system for whatever reason to a 12 volt system, but he is over 80 years old now and just doesn't recollect much on what he did, or why he did something to the bike.  I would leave the 6V system unless you feel like that you must install turn signals / horn in order to get her street legal in your state.

ps: Make sure that you only use mineral oil when changing the engine oil. I would also purchase a new complete engine seal kit over eBay. I think that I paid maybe $30.00 for the complete kit. It comes in handy when you need to take the clutch covers off when cleaning the oil screen. I "cleaned" the oil screen, which was the first time in the 37 year life span of the XR that this was done, and the oil screen was as clean the day I removed it from the engine then it was the day the XR left the factory. Absolutely no dirt or gunk buildup. But, the XR only had 2900 miles on her when I bought her.

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

• Like 2

I am in Ontario Canada and up here you need a "road" ownership, proof of insurance and a mechanics certification. Most of the XRs are dirtbike only ownerships, with the one I found being an exception. So I have a road ownership, but will need a mechanic to fill out a government issued  certification form, and without signals, tailight horn and mirrors most will not do this, unless it is your buddy! So I will need all these things to get it on the road. Great pics medicandy, that XR is pretty much what I want to achieve. Got the carb pulled apart and the stator cover off.+1 on the gasket kit, I was just having the very same thought. From my research it looks like the XL had a second winding, one for the light as the XR, and one to charge the battery. If you look at them on Ebay, you can see the difference. I am hoping someone knows if these are a direct swap? I would like to put the beefier one in and then buy an enduro lighting kit, or make up one from parts I get myself. I would like to start with a little more oommph to the system output.

Two more things I will need are new sprockets and chain and a silencer for the exhaust. I would like to use a smaller rear and larger front sprocket to get more top end out of the bike for highway, anyone had experience with this? Good place to buy, or good brand of aftermarket that will bolt right on? Same questions for the silencer.

Thanks, J

Edited by jonboycox

Hi J,

I would go to eBay and do a search on the sprockets and chain. I would also buy a sprocket set, which has the correct sprocket and chain size combination. I'm not sure if the XR is a good bike to use for the highways? I would think that you would need to switch to a much lower count back & larger sprocket tooth set in the front to keep the rpm's down when riding on the highways. This different tooth count would probably be OK unless you would like to take the XR also into the dirt, which would bark your engine down with the highway sprocket / tooth set.

I guess it all depends on what riding style you are going to look for in your bike. I would also think that your local Honda dealer would also be a good resource for general sprocket / chain recommendations. The biggest recommendation that I can give you would be to buy the best and strongest chain and sprocket that you can buy for your bike. The previous owner of my XT wanted to save some $$$ and bought a cheap chain, which damaged the XT's original engine case.

Andy 

I am thinking of 15 tooth on the front and 41 on the back. As you mentioned these are available in kits on Ebay. Pulled both side covers now, some issues. Small hole, patched with jb weld in the rightside cover. The spark advance lock nut was loose and the tiny pin holding the oil pressure plate is missing. Found metal shavings and chunks of aluminum in the sludge, looks to be the metal from the hole in the case cover. Gonna take it to my metal guy and see if i can get a proper repair. Found an oil pressure plate with pin on ebay, but $$!. Just need a correct sized pin, any advice? Spoke with a guy from baja designs about a lighting kit. He says to try and swap the stator coil for an XL one. Does anyone know how many watts and xl coil generates?

Thanks, enjoying this forum!

I had a from factory California street legal xr600. Once it was crashed and "totaled" it had to get a light inspection. The xr6 had a running head and running taillight and spark. Lights died with motor. I needed turn signals, Hi and Lo beams, brake and taillight, license plate light and an LED Hi beam indicator. I did not need a horn but it can take one. 12V system completely seperate from my bikes electronics. Biggest problem. Battery dies. Takes long enough for my rides, but i rigged a trickle solar charger to charge when im stopped. My battery has a voltmeter so i watch. Keep it in the 12s. Battery, lights, wire and connections were probably less than 100 USD.

Just an idea. If i can pass a govt test and am now California street legal, this can work for you. Easier and cheaper than a new stator.

My xr only has a running headlight bulb running off the stator and spark.

But a full light setup

Good luck

I dig your bike

Thanks for the idea, it was one of the things I considered, just a separate rechargeable system. I do plan on some distance trips though. How long do ya get out of a charge? Not a bad idea, you would never be stuck, just no tail and signals.

I have a tailight on a front master cylinder switch. And 6 turn signals. Two in front. Two on tail fender. And two inside the taillight. Those are too close to be legal.

My Lo is off the stator. My Hi beam is on the switch powered by the battery. I never use it. Ive yet to go on a ride more than 3 hours. And during that ride, if i stopped i plugged in the solar panel real quick. Itll get 12.3 to 12.4 in a matter of minutes in full sun. So a half hour break will do you good. You could get a stronger solar panel. Or mount two batteries and switch wires if needed. Swap when dead. Keep the solar panel hooked up. Mount it on your fender or something. That batteries only 3 lbs so it can go where you want it. I dont charge while using power. Not sure of the risks.