Sign in to follow this  

New to KTM, New 16 500 EXC

So I have not ridden in about 3 years (knee and back issues) and finally couldn't take it anymore.  So I went out and got me a fancy brand new 2016 500exc.  After riding Honda my whole life I never thought I would go orange but, here I am, plated and smiling.  Total mileage when I left the dealer .5, after my one and only ride so far 150.  20151106_182247.jpg20151107_162817.jpg

So I have removed all the unneeded smog stuff, SAS, canister, solenoid, and all related vent hoses.  I did notice that Blais Racing's kit had a hose with it,  Do I need that?  I just went and got the Plug and screw from my LBS.  I used Kapton tape to seal the connector from the solenoid and will have it tucked up under the seat. 

20151122_184623.jpg20151122_184656.jpg20151122_185018.jpg

My question is and please do not respond here if it will get anyone in trouble,PM me instead, how do I go about getting it remapped???  The dealer I bought my bike from said they are bound by KTM not to touch the ECU.  This is the one mod that sounds like needs to be done to begin to see the true potential of the bike.  From what I can see I need the EU 500 EXC map KM787EU14D0701.  Please help I would like to try and get it done prior to leaving for the desert Friday.  I am located in the Inland Empire.

Edited by Ewog
  • Like 1

:looks left: :looks right: PM sent

The tool does nothing if the map is still locked. You could buy a tuner.

Edited by KennyMc

As to the Orange hose, I found in high temp conditions, all that contaminated engine vapor flowing back into the airbox, creates its own jetting issues.  In severe cold periods it might be beneficial, heating the intake air.

I actually let my stock hose hang, disconnected for a long period of time(with airbox plugged) to gauge if it was beneficial, my findings it was. But I wouldn't do this in cold conditions unless you are mapped for it.

To get the orange hose on, cover needs to be removed, and hose end boiled to get it on. I actually leave the hose on for valve cover removal, just stream it out and back in attached to the cover. You do have to lubricate the hose both in and out with something like armoral  or some such.  Its a little technique sensitive routing back in but Ive done it multiple times.

Edited by Spud786

As to the Orange hose, I found in high temp conditions, all that contaminated engine vapor flowing back into the airbox, creates its own jetting issues.  In severe cold periods it might be beneficial, heating the intake air.

I actually let my stock hose hang, disconnected for a long period of time(with airbox plugged) to gauge if it was beneficial, my findings it was. But I wouldn't do this in cold conditions unless you are mapped for it.

To get the orange hose on, cover needs to be removed, and hose end boiled to get it on. I actually leave the hose on for valve cover removal, just stream it out and back in attached to the cover. You do have to lubricate the hose both in and out with something like armoral  or some such.  Its a little technique sensitive routing back in but Ive done it multiple times.

I don't have the orange hose,  I went to my local KTM dealer and just went and bought the XC-w plugs and installed them.   I could not see spending $50+ for the kit Blais racing was selling.  So all I did was remove all the vent lines, the SAS, the canister and the solienoid.  I used Kapton tape to seal the connector from dirt and moisture and tucked it up under the seat.   I was just curious if I missed something and needed the orange hose somewhere or is that just to replace the stock vent hose from that goes from the head to the airbox?

So I have not ridden in about 3 years (knee and back issues) and finally couldn't take it anymore. So I went out and got me a fancy brand new 2016 500exc. After riding Honda my whole life I never thought I would go orange but, here I am, plated and smiling. Total mileage when I left the dealer .5, after my one and only ride so far 150. 📎20151106_182247.jpg📎20151107_162817.jpg

So I have removed all the unneeded smog stuff, SAS, canister, solenoid, and all related vent hoses. I did notice that Blais Racing's kit had a hose with it, Do I need that? I just went and got the Plug and screw from my LBS. I used Kapton tape to seal the connector from the solenoid and will have it tucked up under the seat.

📎20151122_184623.jpg📎20151122_184656.jpg📎20151122_185018.jpg

My question is and please do not respond here if it will get anyone in trouble,PM me instead, how do I go about getting it remapped??? The dealer I bought my bike from said they are bound by KTM not to touch the ECU. This is the one mod that sounds like needs to be done to begin to see the true potential of the bike. From what I can see I need the EU 500 EXC map KM787EU14D0701. Please help I would like to try and get it done prior to leaving for the desert Friday. I am located in the Inland Empire.

Not sure if I'm reading correctly, but if you're talking about the solenoid under the throttle body / fuel injection area, remove it as well.

I'm also live in the inland empire and have asked around with no luck on the remap. Can you please pm me if you find someone or somewhere local who will do it?

Edited by Deepseadan

I don't have the orange hose,  I went to my local KTM dealer and just went and bought the XC-w plugs and installed them.   I could not see spending $50+ for the kit Blais racing was selling.  So all I did was remove all the vent lines, the SAS, the canister and the solienoid.  I used Kapton tape to seal the connector from dirt and moisture and tucked it up under the seat.   I was just curious if I missed something and needed the orange hose somewhere or is that just to replace the stock vent hose from that goes from the head to the airbox?

the orange hose just vents to air, you can buy similar hose elsewhere if you'd like, or test the result of your stock hose hanging disconnected and airbox plugged(if not careful it can collect dirt and water that way though).

the orange hose just vents to air, you can buy similar hose elsewhere if you'd like, or test the result of your stock hose hanging disconnected and airbox plugged(if not careful it can collect dirt and water that way though).

I will try leaving my stock hose and plugging the airbox.  Does this even need to be done, does the hose going to the airbox really effect things that much?

I left mine in the airbox, zero problems. KTM designed it to be there, it will be fine. And since it's on the clean air side of the air filter, it will keep dust and water from getting sucked in at idle and during starting.

I will try leaving my stock hose and plugging the airbox.  Does this even need to be done, does the hose going to the airbox really effect things that much?

Its part of the desmog, but try it,  that's what I did.  Ive had the orange hose for well over 10,000 miles , linked to the airbox makes the bike run hotter cause its sucking hot air contaminated vapor, in real hot conditions, without connected you are sucking cool uncontaminated air, also works better fine tuning mapping without this interference being connected.

In  severe cold conditions as the bike warms up, is about the only time, that it would be benefical, as it heats up the intake air. Otherwise you decide yay or neigh

Im not running a purely stock map, so you'll just have to see for your self

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

I bought one too!!! new 2016 KTM 500EXC.  I love it! nice manners - but very strong and it does indeed beg to play! "playful handling" as it touted by KTM.  I am an older rider and just want to have fun and have the best there is.  And from my youth days worshipping Roger Decoster in the early 70's I  like the idea of knowing he had something to do with the design of this bike.   I probably won't change a thing as in stock form it is capable as I have seen in videos on you tube of things I will ever do. Nor want to. I had a 2008 CRF450X and although very fast it was not for me, too stiff and too much midrange and no low end.  Then I bought a new 2014 DRZ 400 and it is fun, still have it! along with my XR650L and old sideport Honda XL's...

Did the desmog, but left the hose to the airbox. It's basically there for crankcase ventilation... Which will save seals and keep your oil from sludging, just like the pcv in your truck. If you notice a difference in power from that, you might be delusional. Lol. Got my Sicass package today...new tail, flush mounts, and the mirror. Rode an atv trail at my friends property....hills, woods, logs, creeks, branches and briars to rip your arms off, and lots n lots of slippery strategically placed pine straw. I'm 39, and I'm hurt tonite. Lol.

Did the desmog, but left the hose to the airbox. It's basically there for crankcase ventilation... Which will save seals and keep your oil from sludging, just like the pcv in your truck.

Really?

Don't make crap up, Dude!

You are ventilating crank pressure to air, rather than recirculating contaminated air back into the motor (this includes OIl , oil fumes, gas fumes ect, that's it, its that simple.

To say, venting to airbox is easier on seals or prevents oil sludging, is total Bull crap. The opposite is actually true, as your oil is absorbing these unneeded contaminants, if you really wanted to make a case for it.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

No. I didn't say venting to air would trash seals. As long as it's vented. But if you take the vacuum from the intake out of the system it's no longer a POSITIVE crankcase ventilation system. Then it's just a vent. And that's not as effective. As far as it being "contaminated air"..... It's just crankcase air with some blowby and fuel vapor....that gets burned. Hardly contaminated. What will you gain realistically by venting to atmosphere? Nothing. And you won't have a positively vented case either.

Edited by Redclayrooster

No. I didn't say venting to air would trash seals. As long as it's vented. But if you take the vacuum from the intake out of the system it's no longer a POSITIVE crankcase ventilation system. Then it's just a vent. And that's not as effective. As far as it being "contaminated air"..... It's just crankcase air with some blowby and fuel vapor....that gets burned. Hardly contaminated. What will you gain realistically by venting to atmosphere? Nothing. And you won't have a positively vented case either.

I have bikes where the valve cover vent still  runs to the airbox, but I found on the ktm in real hot conditions, this Hot contaminated air interfered with bikes hot running , especially in slow speed conditions, and I couldn't jet it out .

Im okay if you want it connected, but posting what you posted about seals and sludging is VERY bad Information.

Right now and for this next ride, tomorrow, I will leave it connected to the airbox.  Mainly because I do not have anything to plug the airbox with at the moment.  

I can see how it would help, cold air is always better than hot air. In fact on my 08 450x I have it plugged at the airbox and venting to the air.  I am not sure if there is any performance gain or not, but I have noticed that in the summer months the 450x is a lot more picky on the jetting.  Maybe the FI wouldn't be an issue but I do not see any reason to vent it to the airbox, especially if I already removed all the other smog stuff.

On another note I got my TPS tool today and set it to .64, it was .59 so we will see how things go tomorrow.  I am bringing my meter and the tool just in case.

There's no real performance gain, just cleaned up that area I mentioned in hot conditions.   My bike runs cool enough, I can run the coolant all the way to the neck of the rad, never expands enough to force it back to normal just over the fins. I have zero reason for a recovery bottle, over thousands of miles, never lose coolant.  There is no heat issues with my bike.

Well over 200 hours this year thus far, Im sure I would have notice any negatives (especially) with seals or sludging.

Dude look up what happens first when you have an improperly functioning pcv system. Sludge. Been a mechanic my whole life. Seen it. It happens. Sure u can vent it to atmosphere , but as soon as a dirt dauber builds a house in your hose your case will have no vent, and the pressure buildup will cause you to spend money. Not VERY bad info. Not even slightly bad info. It's good info that will allow those who don't understand pcv systems to make an informed decision. Personally I could care less if you run a hose into your helmet to vent your case, but you won't have a pcv system. You'll just have a cv system ... And a buzz. I'd like to see your dyno results with the hose connected and disconnected. I've got $20 saying it won't lean it out enough to register on the graph. Bottom line: case pressure buildup is worse than pulling some air into some air that's entering your intake. It's happening BEFORE the throttle body so it's not unmetered air.

Ps: I'm glad you're ok with me leaving my pcv hooked up....don't know what I'd do if you weren't ok with it. :) Drink a beer dude.