Sign in to follow this  

2016 KX 450 rear shock…Is it a 5.5?

I sent my stuff to factory connection, and I have a 5.6 in the rear now (Im 5'11/ 205, vet B rider).  I can't get to 105 sag…the most I can get is 95 without the spring getting lose.  Static is around 42ish...

Im thinking of putting the stock rear spring on.  Is it a 5.5?  I'm hoping I can get to 105 in the rear with the stock spring.

Does anyone know if the stock rear spring is a 5.5 or its equivalent?

Stock is a 5.2

If the spring is a little loose(like you can slightly turn it when your not on the bike I don't think its a big deal) But if its loose loose then you don't have the correct spring rate. Im 190 lbs and am in the pro division. I had a 5.3 in my bike and bought a 5.2. my bike worked much better. Even though they wanted to use a 5.3. and the race tech calculator said 5.5. But that is also for their valving which im assuming must be light like FC.

But if you cant get to 100 or 105 then yes you don't have the right spring rate. Depending on valving which im assuming must be light, a 5.6 seems stiff to me. I run the rear always as soft as possible. Call FC. you just dropped some coin they should take the time to square you away, and they are very good as well.

I've always been given a 5.7 from FC. I'm 5'10" 205lbs Vet B.

205?  What did you put 1 foot on the floor and one on the scale?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just to add confusion to the discussion, FC told me that stock was 5.4.  I'm a 225 pound Vet B and they told me to use a 5.8 which set up perfectly (at 105mm of sag I had 35mm of free sag).  I have about 7-8 hours on it and feels good to me.

Edited by Endoair

Stock is a 5.2

If the spring is a little loose(like you can slightly turn it when your not on the bike I don't think its a big deal) But if its loose loose then you don't have the correct spring rate. Im 190 lbs and am in the pro division. I had a 5.3 in my bike and bought a 5.2. my bike worked much better. Even though they wanted to use a 5.3. and the race tech calculator said 5.5. But that is also for their valving which im assuming must be light like FC.

But if you cant get to 100 or 105 then yes you don't have the right spring rate. Depending on valving which im assuming must be light, a 5.6 seems stiff to me. I run the rear always as soft as possible. Call FC. you just dropped some coin they should take the time to square you away, and they are very good as well.

I just called F.C….they were awesome, and are shipping me a 5.5 today.  The tech even made notes saying the 5.6 might be too stiff for me (I guess they were out of 5.5 at the time).

I've always been given a 5.7 from FC. I'm 5'10" 205lbs Vet B.

There is no possible way you have checked your sag then.  You can't get 105 if you are 205lbs from a 5.7, let a lone a 5.6.  I would check your sag asap.  Your probably running around 70-80.

205?  What did you put 1 foot on the floor and one on the scale?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just to add confusion to the discussion, FC told me that stock was 5.4.  I'm a 225 pound Vet B and they told me to use a 5.8 which set up perfectly (at 105mm of sag I had 35mm of free sag).  I have about 7-8 hours on it and feels good to me.

Actually he would have to weigh the bike down further, so putting 1 foot down and having one foot on would weigh less.  I just have a feeling he hasn't checked his sag.

I'm very picky about my set-up/ suspension.  The bike has way to much weight on the front end at 95, I can't imagine running a lower number…Anyays kudos to FC for shipping stuff out right away and fixing the problem (I spent $650 for a re-valve/ FC rear spring/ shipping).

Actually he would have to weigh the bike down further, so putting 1 foot down and having one foot on would weigh less.  I just have a feeling he hasn't checked his sag.

I'm very picky about my set-up/ suspension.  The bike has way to much weight on the front end at 95, I can't imagine running a lower number…Anyays kudos to FC for shipping stuff out right away and fixing the problem (I spent $650 for a re-valve/ FC rear spring/ shipping).

You must have missed the joke.  I was busting my friends balls about saying he weighs 205.   :facepalm:

Well that falls into the range of my weight the last time I revalved and my weight now. Race tech actually calls for a 5.8 or closest to it for 210lbs. The closest is 5.7. Plus I'll be back at that weight in two months anyway. I'm getting another 5.7! Lol

motoxjeff. I and endoair just set the sag on my 14 Kawi like two months ago never mind the multiple bikes I've had around my same weight range. Even at 205 I could get 105mm of sag. My last Honda was around the same weight as this 16 Kawi.

motoxjeff. I and endoair just set the sag on my 14 Kawi like two months ago never mind the multiple bikes I've had around my same weight range. Even at 205 I could get 105mm of sag. My last Honda was around the same weight as this 16 Kawi.

Well I'm guessing there's a difference between your 14 KX and the 16 KX, some way some how. Even the tech on the phone said they suggested a 5.5 (of course some how I ended up with a 5.6).

Hey as long as your getting 105 some way, cool.

Curious what your static sag would be though

Stock is a 5.2

Stock is 52 n/mm on the 2016 which is a 5.3 Kg.mm. Kg/mm is how almost all the companies rate their springs.

Stock is 52 n/mm on the 2016 which is a 5.3 Kg.mm. Kg/mm is how almost all the companies rate their springs.

That is excellent info. I didn't know that, I thought it always transferred straight across ie 52nm = 5.2Kgmm. Thank you for that!

http://www.unitconversion.org/torque/newton-millimeters-to-kilogram-force-millimeters-conversion.html

Here is a handy converter.

I wish they would do one or the other because they are so close it is confusing.

Just got off the phone with FC. They are sending both a 5.4 and 5.5, but actually want me to try the 5.4. 2 spring weights off... Lol. Should have both of them on weds

Also he said that the 16 has a different ROD, and a different delta (whatever that is) than the 14.  That could also explain the spring weight difference. from your 14 to my 16.

That's deadly FC is doing that. Excellent service. You should try it on the track too in some good chop and big hits. See if you can bottom it. A slightly softer shock is a plus in my book. less deflection, tracks straighter 

That's deadly FC is doing that. Excellent service. You should try it on the track too in some good chop and big hits. See if you can bottom it. A slightly softer shock is a plus in my book. less deflection, tracks straighter 

OK !  So here is the final answer I came too.  I had a 5.4/ 5.5/ 5.6 shipped to me from FC.  I tried all shocks measuring sag with the MotoTool (greatest tool ever by the way).  The shock to my understanding is a 5.3 (keep in mind i'm 5'11/ 205, MX only).

The 5.4 with gear I was only able to get a max of 100 without gear (Keep in mind the spring was at its wits end, almost too loose STILL).  The stock I put back on, and with gear it came right to 105 no problem.

I tested the stock shock at the track yesterday and its WAY softer, but tracked very well.  I ran sag at 105.  I truly think however that sag would be better around 102/ 103 area (I already run ride engineering triple clamps that changed the stock offset from 23 to 21.5 as well).

IMG_0419.JPG

12307575_10206352907760523_3202225709839851895_o.jpg

• Like 1

OK !  So here is the final answer I came too.  I had a 5.4/ 5.5/ 5.6 shipped to me from FC.  I tried all shocks measuring sag with the MotoTool (greatest tool ever by the way).  The shock to my understanding is a 5.3 (keep in mind i'm 5'11/ 205, MX only).

The 5.4 with gear I was only able to get a max of 100 without gear (Keep in mind the spring was at its wits end, almost too loose STILL).  The stock I put back on, and with gear it came right to 105 no problem.

I tested the stock shock at the track yesterday and its WAY softer, but tracked very well.  I ran sag at 105.  I truly think however that sag would be better around 102/ 103 area (I already run ride engineering triple clamps that changed the stock offset from 23 to 21.5 as well).

You always check your sag with gear or whatever you would ride with. 105 is a pretty good starting point. I have run my older kawis 105-107 (with the longer pullrod) And I know the factories would bore out the subframe holes to lower the back end another 5 mm.  Keep in mind you will turn sharper with the offset clamps @ 21.5 so 105 might be perfect. Was it over/Under steering? If you go lower on sag it may turn too sharp. But everyone likes a bike to handle different. Give it a try, tell us how it went!! Cheers. PS. Nice looking bike!

Edited by MxPro83

i thought up until 2015 the shock was a KYB. Now its the same shock as the 250f just stiffer spring.