Sign in to follow this  

2011 TE310 HARD TO START

Hi everyone, I have a 2011 te310 husky, and the last time I rode it, it became very hard to start. I just got the bike back from the mechanic he checked the valve clearences and they were absolutely fine (first time they've been checked @ 2,900KM's). The bike was fine to start before I took it to my mechanic. It seems to be alright when cold starting, but soon as the bikes starts to heat up, it just won't wanna start no matter how much effort you put into that kick (electric start doesn't work). So any ideas why it isn't starting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

And sometime that little "hot start" or "enricher" lever gets pulled out down by the TB. Check that cable.

mine's a 2013 TE310R, and it's just the opposite: takes a few kicks & blips of the button, with the choke on (even in decent weather like 65 F) but after it starts the 1st time, I let it warm up for a few minutes, kill it, then, start it up again, when I'm ready to go, and the rest of the day, it starts easy. If your engine is overheating, you may need a new electric fan relay switch: it goes inline with the fan motor's wiring: my dealer replaced a faulty one that they found to be defective. However, my symptom was completely different: after running for about 20 minutes, the clutch would no longer allow disengagement: it would just stay in gear. and my FI light would come on. Problem solved. Have not experienced ANY other problems with mine so far, and by the end of this season, I flipped 7800 miles.

Hi everyone, I have a 2011 te310 husky, and the last time I rode it, it became very hard to start. I just got the bike back from the mechanic he checked the valve clearences and they were absolutely fine (first time they've been checked @ 2,900KM's). The bike was fine to start before I took it to my mechanic. It seems to be alright when cold starting, but soon as the bikes starts to heat up, it just won't wanna start no matter how much effort you put into that kick (electric start doesn't work). So any ideas why it isn't starting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like your fuel pump. The 2011's had some bad ones. Mine went bad too. Would start cold, but after it was warm the pumps internals would expand and seize up. After it cooled down a bit I could restart it.

Test this way- the next time it's warm and won't start, turn the ignition key off, then on again. If it's the fuel pump you won't hear that characteristic fuel pump whine when you turn the ignition key back on.  

If it's the pump, don't replace with OEM. Use the California CycleWorks one. Way cheaper and mine's been great! 

• Like 1

It sounds like your fuel pump. The 2011's had some bad ones. Mine went bad too. Would start cold, but after it was warm the pumps internals would expand and seize up. After it cooled down a bit I could restart it.

Test this way- the next time it's warm and won't start, turn the ignition key off, then on again. If it's the fuel pump you won't hear that characteristic fuel pump whine when you turn the ignition key back on.

If it's the pump, don't replace with OEM. Use the California CycleWorks one. Way cheaper and mine's been great!

Ok thanks Aaron8, my fuel pump is working as it's making the buzzing sound when switching the ignition/key on. But about 2 weeks ago I put the bike into my mechanic for him to check a few things for me, and one of those things was to check the fuel filter inside the tank, so possibly he didn't assemble it back together right or something like that. But my mechanic said to bring it back in, in the next couple of days so will get him to check it out for me.

The other thing is that I've never had a radiator fan on mine, as I think the first owner took it off (I don't know why though). So the problem can't be a faulty fan.

As far as the e start goes , I had my starter replaced at 1600 on my te 310 , now it's back at the dealer again for the same issue and it's only been 300 miles , mine is a 2012 , good luck.

As far as the e start goes , I had my starter replaced at 1600 on my te 310 , now it's back at the dealer again for the same issue and it's only been 300 miles , mine is a 2012 , good luck.

Thanks Richard, I got the bike back into the shop and my mechanic says the (not starting when hot) is something to do with the mode button that switches from map 1 to map 2. And I also had my mechanic checkout the e start on mine, and he was saying the whole design of the Starter is a total failure. Inside it's got this really small differential that turns 90 degrees into the ignition/fly wheel case, and it puts so much strain onto the differential therefore causing them to break after a couple of rides. That's to me the one thing that I don't really like about the bike, but everything else about the bike I absolutely love!! Good all round bike for all purposes.

Ya , my son has since taken over my husky and I went orange for now , I personally like all bikes not one I can't have fun on but I am gonna tell him to just kick start it when we get it back, once warmed up it starts first kick , and also I love the 310 my boy just wants to ride with me so he took it over , I will never turn down a chance to ride with my son.

Ya , my son has since taken over my husky and I went orange for now , I personally like all bikes not one I can't have fun on but I am gonna tell him to just kick start it when we get it back, once warmed up it starts first kick , and also I love the 310 my boy just wants to ride with me so he took it over , I will never turn down a chance to ride with my son.

I know this is an off subject question, but does your 310 have a radiator fan on it?? Cause mine doesn't and I'm wondering if It needs one, as I think the first owner has taken it off, and I'm not sure why the hell someone would take the fan off!! Another question what sought of engine oil do you run through it? Just a good opportunity to ask a few questions about the 310's, as I don't know anyone else that has a 310 I can talk to lol.

Hi guys, so I got the husky back from the mechanic today (aswell as the 2 stroke), and the (not starting when hot problem) was the $30 baffle slip in silencer I bought to make the bike quitter. It was basically stuffing up everything causing the bike to heat up a lot more and a lot quicker with all the restriction. So my mechanic modified the slip in silencer baffle, so it doesn't restrict as much. All though the bike is a little louder, the gains I got was so good! A lot more horsepower and I suddenly realised how dangerous this bike is!! And the other problem was the starter motor wires were a little damaged as they were almost touching the header pipe! So very happy with the outcome that's for sure!

• Like 2