Sign in to follow this  

Need help, strange shifting issue 08 YZ250

So I have an 08 YZ250 since new. Don't ride all year so my 3 years equals about the average 1 year of use. Anyway no issues ever and then had a shifting issue. Turned out to be an easy fix as what is called the "stopper lever assembly" bearing had fallen apart. Simple fix and good to go. Well after only maybe 6-8 hours use my son who is now riding the bike is saying there is a false neutral. I say no way, that's only on Zooks. No offence here, his 01 125 and my 88 250 both had this issue and one tried to kill me Anyway he ends up going over the bars very high speed and we end our season last spring (FL riding). So I tear it down, give the cases to a friend who can split them for me. Says he has found fragments of a destroyed small bearing.

So I think I must not have cleaned up all from the first failure. It turns out the bearing on the new stopper lever assembly is lunched!

So new stopper lever as well as the piece called the segment where the bearing rides are both on order. Question is why would it fail. This is not a spinning bearing, just turns to ride over segment detents for individual gears positions.

Anyone ever deal with this? Was time to split cases anyway as rod had slight play so crank is going in. Just want to be able to put it back together right.Thanks in advance for any info.

got pics of this? My 06 I bought used and put 50-60 hours of moto only beating this summer and its still on stock transmission. Thing has been bomb proof so far.

When I got my 09 it also had a destroyed stopper bearing, replaced it and it has been fine for the last 75 hours. 

When I got my 09 it also had a destroyed stopper bearing, replaced it and it has been fine for the last 75 hours. 

Maybe it is just a chance random thing. The original one lasted 7 years, new one just hours. There is no way to install it wrong either. I will be making this an inspection item from now on. Also going to pop the case of my 15 250 to check that one as well.

Thanks.