Sign in to follow this  

Faster on my eduro than in my Mx at tracas. ...

Hello I am quite confused. I have a yz450f 15 for mx and a 350 ktm exc 16 for the woods and enduros. I had to race my EXC at a quite fast and bumpy mx track with decent jumps. I was way more faster on the enduro bike than I have ever been at any mx race in a mx bike. I have been racing mx for ten years and this is my first enduro bike.....heavier, less power, enduro tires, but I was much more confident and way faster......How is this possible? Thanks for your input

And softer power lets you be aggressive instead of having to meter out the power carefully....

Most 450 riders would be faster on a 250f.  There aren't many riders that can be truly aggressive with even a stock 450...

Edited by Dirt Addict
  • Like 4

What dirt addict said i agree with.

I ride a 250f and have been off the bike for months.  For the time being we have de-tuned it to make less power.  Now i'm over riding the bike again instead of the bike over ride me and pulling me around all over the show.  This really comes into its own at the end of motos and that's just a 250f.  When i get some more regualr seat time the power will slowly come back into the mix as i use all of whats there again....and so on....and so on

For sand i'll throw everything back at it (pipe, cams back etc) and adjust my Pim2 to suit.

Ego has a lot to answer for (not directed at you) and 450's make a lot of power!

• Like 1

Also possible the 18" tire worked better, as it does in most outdoor tracks. Also all the learned reaction you gain if your on the ktm more riding hours in more diverse conditions.  Same would be true if most you seat time was on the yamdog

Most of my seat time has been on a 450 mx. I am a complete beginner at enduros. Barely 50h on my 350exc. I can say that my late experience at the woods and the 350 exc helped on my mx confidence and speed. I will keep my secret for now on !

For what is worth. I was faster on a 125 than on my 250 2 stroke. But like said above, i could be more aggressive on my 125 because of the power difference.

Here's an odd one for you....  My tires were pretty worn.  The rear would feel like it was flat and slide out from under me.  So being a cheapskate, I had a set of tires in the shed, but they belonged to a 125.  They are Artrax FIM tires.  The front is an odd size 80/80/21, the rear is a 100/90/19.  SKINNY.  But I threw them on the 250 2t anyways.  I rode it at a local jumpy track that forms up a couple of decent ruts.  It turns great.  Drops in to ruts and carves.  Even flatter corners felt good and the grip was really consistent. I'm thinking I will run these skinny tires for awhile.  Unfortunately the Artrax seem to wear fast.  The leading edges are already rounded after one ride.  But they hook up great.

Traditionally I ride better on a smaller bike because I have more confidence.  Its all in my mind and I think that deep down the traction of a 450 scares me = riding slower.

Pretty simple to me. You can ride the enduro harder than the 450 without getting your ass kicked.

Every time I try and ride a 450 hard at the track I eat shit. By the 2nd lap I'm so worn out and usually pumped up so bad a small mistake usually puts me on my ass. So I have to tone it way down to avoid a crash or near crash at least. 

Get on the 250F and I can pound hard fast laps and still feel in control by the end of the moto.

What dirt addict said i agree with.

I ride a 250f and have been off the bike for months. For the time being we have de-tuned it to make less power. Now i'm over riding the bike again instead of the bike over ride me and pulling me around all over the show. This really comes into its own at the end of motos and that's just a 250f. When i get some more regualr seat time the power will slowly come back into the mix as i use all of whats there again....and so on....and so on

For sand i'll throw everything back at it (pipe, cams back etc) and adjust my Pim2 to suit.

Ego has a lot to answer for (not directed at you) and 450's make a lot of power!

Sounds like a lot of work just to ride some sand I ride 250f,350 and 450s and I'm prob fastest on the 250 but I have so much more on a 450 and that's what it's all about I feel during

My guess is that the exc is so quite. my focus is a lot better when there isn't a lot of noise around me...

Edited by RasmusDK