Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 not starting after leaving the choke on :(

So I rode my 2003 YZ 125 for about half an hour and accidentally left the choke on. The bike then slowed to a stop, I tried to start it but it wouldn't go and ever 5 - 7 kicks it will back fire. I put a new spark plug in and have only had 30hrs since rebuild on the hour meter. I've cleaned the carby out and the air filter was only recently cleaned, I'm also running this bike on 32:1. I've got a good spark and a wet plug. I can also turn the kick starter over using my hand and when I put my finger over the spark hole and turn it over it doesn't push it off. Surely leaving the choke on can't cause the need for a top end rebuild? I've only had this bike for 20hrs and don't want to spend $250. Anyone who has any ideas please help I'm only young and new into this stuff so go easy on me.

Leaving the choke on made the engine run much richer than usual.

First issue that would likely come up is a fouled spark plug,

then perhaps a seriously caked up power valve assembly.

next would be the exhaust pipe caking up and the silencer's packing getting saturated.

First remove the exhaust header and have a look up into the cylinder thru the exhaust port,

take a few pics (piston, header pipe etc.) and post them up.

I did a compression test and PSI was 30, I know this is really bad but does it mean top end? Could it just be a coincidence that I left my choke on and the rings blew or something? Can you tell from the piston if you need a rebuild? Someone please give advice as I'm a bit stuck atm

how did you do the compression test?

throttle wide open and kick till the meter stopped?

if it is at 30 psi you need to open her up to see what needs replacing.

did you do a compression test when you got it?

Edited by Excitable

Thinking back I actually don't think I left the choke on and rather when the bike stopped I then put the choke on and tried to start it and then that's why I thought I left it on. Anyways yes I did do the compression test that way and am going to take the head off tomorrow. We are going to do a top end rebuild because we don't actually know if the hour clock was correct when the previous owner sold the bike. Also today my radiator liquid was way down, it was up when the bike stopped because I checked it so maybe it's gone down from me trying to start it all these times, does that mean blown head gasket? Also is there a way to tell how old a piston is? Thanks for all the replies!!