Sign in to follow this  

Is my XR600 crank damaged

Hey lads

I sent my crank away to have a new conrod installed and upon receiving it back I have notice some very large burrs on the metal surface....check out the photos. Initially when I removed  the crank from the engine I was unable to remove one of the main bearings. I guess it was seized/rusted on.  The bloke responsible for installing the new conrod was to remove the bearing and as you can see he has achieved this but with some damage to the crank. Unfortunately I did not notice until I got home (200km away). My question for some one out there is, will these burrs cause a problem. ? I did not get the old bearing back so I cant see if  the bearing is meant to sit flush with the damaged surface. I am hopeful there is not a problem but if anyone knows for sure, please let me know. Cheers

IMG_20151123_174007_898.jpg

IMG_20151123_173949_606.jpg

It does stop against that surface. This sets the width of the assembly.

Working it down by hand should fix it. I'd take the damage slightly lower than the undamaged area.

Protect the polished surface of the crank while you clean up the damage.

I'd question how true the crank is, as well as the side clearances on the rod, based on the condition he let the crank leave in.

Thanx for the advice and yes you are correct, where do the issues end? I feel I have lost confidence wether it has been trued correctly. I have been looking at other possible issues with the crank. Can anyone tell me how they press out the pin without removing the gear for the counter balancer? I am concerned that if it has been removed that it has not been pressed back on in the same position.  And if it is not in the same position it would then result in significant vibration due to the alignment marks being out. See red arrow on diagram.

IMG_20151123_173514_207.jpg