Sign in to follow this  

Rmz 250 2007 idling issue need some help here.

Ok i got an rmz 250 2007, bought it recently with no problems except one thing. Everytime i let the throttle close the revs stay there and if i snap fast then it goes to normal idle speed (most of the time). Also if i keep going with the revs high and throttle closed, they seem to go down after a while. The issue is not random at all so i kind of got used to it on the track. I got 7 hours on the bike with 15+ hours on searching for what this problem is and replacing some things on it. Here is what i've done so far. Air filter was torn a bit so its replaced (oiled and good to go), 1 of the throttle cables is almost ready to snap, and gets stuck on the sheath so i replaced (both of them to be sure), and the stock exhaust header was bent and cracked making a hissing sound (of course i could not repair this because its some kind of titanium space age alloy made from jupiter or something and needs the mig welder from the gods to be repaired or so the shop told me) so i replaced it with an fmf powerbomb exhaust, also having a powercore4 fmf on the bike they fit nicely. Those things seemed like they were creating the problem, but still the problem is there. I did not spot any air leaks anywhere though. By the way valves are JUST in spec, with one of the intake valves being out of spec by a little but still in factory numbers here. Also i replaced the spark plug just to be sure. Besides this problem the bike is cockwork and pulls strong. Any ideas on why this hapens and what should i check next?  

Ok i got an rmz 250 2007, bought it recently with no problems except one thing. Everytime i let the throttle close the revs stay there and if i snap fast then it goes to normal idle speed (most of the time). Also if i keep going with the revs high and throttle closed, they seem to go down after a while. The issue is not random at all so i kind of got used to it on the track. I got 7 hours on the bike with 15+ hours on searching for what this problem is and replacing some things on it. Here is what i've done so far. Air filter was torn a bit so its replaced (oiled and good to go), 1 of the throttle cables is almost ready to snap, and gets stuck on the sheath so i replaced (both of them to be sure), and the stock exhaust header was bent and cracked making a hissing sound (of course i could not repair this because its some kind of titanium space age alloy made from jupiter or something and needs the mig welder from the gods to be repaired or so the shop told me) so i replaced it with an fmf powerbomb exhaust, also having a powercore4 fmf on the bike they fit nicely. Those things seemed like they were creating the problem, but still the problem is there. I did not spot any air leaks anywhere though. By the way valves are JUST in spec, with one of the intake valves being out of spec by a little but still in factory numbers here. Also i replaced the spark plug just to be sure. Besides this problem the bike is cockwork and pulls strong. Any ideas on why this hapens and what should i check next?  

Sounds like the idle adjustment could be too high?  

Failing that you may have an air leak - I usually use a propane gas blow torch to track an air leak.  Start the bike and let it idle, then turn on the gas of the propane blow torch (obviously don't light it) and run it around the air boot and carb, if the bike starts to rev high you know its sucking in air (as the propane will cause it to rev)  

Sounds like the idle adjustment could be too high?  

Failing that you may have an air leak - I usually use a propane gas blow torch to track an air leak.  Start the bike and let it idle, then turn on the gas of the propane blow torch (obviously don't light it) and run it around the air boot and carb, if the bike starts to rev high you know its sucking in air (as the propane will cause it to rev)  

Thanks i will try that as soon as possible!