Sign in to follow this  

Life of Bushings/collors?

I was going to change the oil in my forks here soon. While I had the forks semi apart I thought I may kust as well replace seals and all internals.

These forks have 32hrs since last service with all new stuff. Should I kust go ahead an order the slides an seal an just be done?

Yes they generally won't last another 32 hours ,so order the seals and bushes

Yes they generally won't last another 32 hours ,so order the seals and bushes

Thanks'...

Since I have you on here mog......which Fork oil would you recommend me using? Brand and weight and would I use the same weight for the inner an outer or different weights?

Thanks'...

Since I have you on here mog......which Fork oil would you recommend me using? Brand and weight and would I use the same weight for the inner an outer or different weights?

Maxima 5wt racing fluid. Its the 85-150 racing formula  Yes the same for the inner and outer.

http://www.motosport.com/maxima-racing-fork-fluid  This stuff will work just fine! Has less stiction then most oils I have used. 

Edited by trvshonda

Maxima 5wt racing fluid. Its the 85-150 racing formula Yes the same for the inner and outer.

http://www.motosport.com/maxima-racing-fork-fluid This stuff will work just fine! Has less stiction then most oils I have used.

Good! I have some of this. Only have one full bottle. How many more will I need to get?

1448334209324.jpg

Edited by CaptainKnobby

If it's for your '15 YZ250 / KYB SSS forks

The outer tubes on average take between 330ml and 350ml depending on your preference in progressiveness (last 1/3 of the stroke)

and the inner cartridge takes about 200ml of oil to fill but you always spill/waste some while purging the air / extra oil out of the cartridge.

So a total 550ml per fork tube X 2

1 quart is 946ml

1 quart is enough for a drain/fill of the outer tubes only,

you'd be a tad short of oil if also disassembling the cartridge.

Edited by mlatour

The outer tubes on average take between 330ml and 350ml depending on your preference in progressiveness (last 1/3 of the stroke)

and the inner cartridge takes about 200ml of oil to fill but you always spill/waste some while purging the air / extra oil out of the cartridge.

1 quart is 946ml

So if I get 4 quarts that should be plenty. I noticed on rocky mountain atvmc they had the Maxima oil but it was 125-150 instead of 85w-150 but you had an option when you clicked on the bottle of 125-150 to get either 5w or 7w.

So would it be ok to get the 125-150 in 5w?

Also can I use the 85w-150 that I have with the 125-150?

Sorry for all the questions....just getting ready to make my order.

Sorry if my explanations weren't clear,

2 quarts are enough to drain/fill both fork outer tubes & cartridges.

If simply servicing the outer tubes (bushings) and not disassembling the cartridges then 1 quart is enough for both outer tubes.

Stick with 5W, not 7W

85-150 is 5W,

the 125-150 is indicated to be 7W on Maxima's website

http://www.maximausa.com/product/racing-fork-fluid/

Edited by mlatour

Sorry if my explanations weren't clear,

2 quarts are enough to drain/fill both fork outer tubes & cartridges.

If simply servicing the outer tubes (bushings) and not disassembling the cartridges then 1 quart is enough for both outer tubes.

Stick with 5W, not 7W

85-150 is 5W,

the 125-150 is indicated to be 7W on Maxima's website

http://www.maximausa.com/product/racing-fork-fluid/

Thanks a bunch!

1 quart is 946ml

the inner chamber is 150mm down

outer 330 ML light weights, 340 vets, 350 for faster riders

Actualy the service manual specs are let's say a 'starting point' when re-filling the cartridges, it indicates

a quantity of 199cc (ml) or about to 148mm of oil height (like open cartridge fork oil level is measured)

but this measurement isn't the exact quantity that will remain inside the cartridge once it is purged,

it is initialy filled to a higher oil level to lessen to chances of air getting trapped inside during re-assembly.

Instead of measuring the exact quantity/level as above, it is more common practice to simply fill the cartridge up

to just below the two purge holes in the tube during re-assembly, the quantity 'adjusts itself' when properly purged out.

Edited by mlatour

Actualy the service manual specs are let's say a 'starting point' when re-filling the cartridges, it indicates

a quantity of 199cc (ml) or about to 148mm of oil height (like open cartridge fork oil level is measured)

but this measurement isn't the exact quantity that will remain inside the cartridge once it is purged,

it is initialy filled to a higher oil level to lessen to chances of air getting trapped inside during re-assembly.

Instead of measuring the exact quantity/level as above, it is more common practice to simply fill the cartridge up

to just below the two purge holes in the tube during re-assembly, the quantity 'adjusts itself' when properly purged out.

I have been watching some good videos on servicing forks. However when I had my 06 yz450 I changed the oil in them once ......both outer an inner. All though I didnt dis assemble the forks but rather just drained the old oil out and replaced with new.

This time on my 2015 YZ250 im going to fully service them an clean eveything. I ordered me some of the Maxima contact suspension cleaner an I have a Fork cleaning Brush, seal Bullet, seal driver, fork cap wrench, the syringe you use to measure the oil in the outer tube that has the long metal stem with graduation marks on it, Soft jaws for my vise, cartridge rebound adjuster holding tool......

I pretty much have everything I need to service the fprks but a bonified fork/suspension vise.

I shouldnt have any trouble.....but if I do I am sure with all the knowledgeable people on here about Suspension will help me if I need it.

Actually the oil level syringe won't be absolutely necessary but always useful to have if you ever service open chamber forks.

Don't forget you also need an 'H' tool do dis-assemble the cartridge rod / rebound adjuster assy.

Edited by mlatour

Actually the oil level syringe won't be absolutely necessary but always useful to have if you ever service open chamber forks.

Don't forget you also need an 'H' tool do dis-assemble the cartridge rod / rebound adjuster assy.

Yes.......I also ordered the H tool.....I believe I called it the rebound adjuster tool