Sign in to follow this  

2015 crf250r air fork

I was at local dealer the other day looking at a leftover 2015 crf250.I held front brake while trying to compress the forks.They would barely move.Is that normal on the air fork,or maybe they didn't install wheel properly. Kind of turned me off to it.

You should have asked the guys working there to check the pressures. It sounds as though they had the pressures setup incorrectly. That being said, the TAC fork generally has high stiction though. 

thanks for the replies! if I was really interested in buying the bike I would for sure ask them about it. not sure if checking pressures is part of there setup. what little I could compress(maybe 2 or 3 in.0 the forks did return all the way.just weird! next time I'm in there i'll push on there 16 kx450f and see how they feel.

The stiction is noticeable if not dealt with, but not being able to compress the forks like that definitely sounds like a pressure thing. Fork binding wouldn't result in that much of a stiffness increase, you would really need to force the fork legs out of alignment to only be able to compress them 3 inches. With my '15 kx, if you don't have enough air pressure in the balance chamber, the forks are pretty much rock solid, so I'm guessing its something like that

I

I wonder too if being shipped from sea level to almost 6000ft might have something to do with it?

I have 2015 crf250, when it was new the standard fork setting are extremely stiff. Honda found by stiffening the forks and having a steering damper they could run a more aggressive head angle to increase steering and turning feel. Which I think all new bike are going in that direction. The only issue is once you soften the forks and balance the suspension the bikes frame still has and aggressive steering angle set for stiff forks so it is hard to find a likable setting. Factory connection said the best way to tune air forks are by oil volume and valve shims. Once set to a riders preference the forks have an excellent feel.

The 16 kawi has a differant air piston than the Honda, ur Honda will feel as smooth as a kawi or a 16 Honda once u update the piston.