Older riders, what do YOU do to accommodate for getting older

After this last wreck which I am still hurting pretty bad from (3rd bad wreck in 2 years requiring surgery)  I am starting to realize that I am 60 years old and maybe not capable of riding like I did years ago.  I ride with much younger guys, in fact I am in better shape than some guys half my age, but dammit, I'm still 60, and I'm trying to keep up with them.  I guess I need to slow down a bit, even though its not noticeable to me maybe my reactions are a bit slower than they used to be.  And I heal pretty quick, but I guess probably not as quick as someone half my age.  Reluctantly I realize that yes, I do need to make some accommodations for getting older, but other than slowing down a bit and not riding everything like its a race I'm not sure what else to do.  So, what do you guys do to accommodate for getting older?

• Like 3

"a man has got to know his limitations", riding smarter not harder is the rule to ride another day. With nothing left to prove, I just enjoy being out there. Other than all that, gear and more gear, hydrate, a reasonable fitness/stretching program.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 13

I'm 52 and I've slowed down considerably.  I used to be the guy up front charging, seeing if I can lose my buds behind me.  Not any more, I'm happy to settle in at the pace I feel comfortable at.  We also pretty much ride only very rocky technical trail.  We get our challenges in climbing stupid shit, and even then I don't have the balance and nimbleness that I used to have.  We still have tons of fun and I plan to ride as long as I can. 

I also quit racing.  My competive nature will only get me hurt, if I enter a race I will race to win and ride on the edge and take too many chances.  I had a lot of good years of racing enduros and hare scrambles and sometimes miss it but overall as long as I'm riding I'm good. 

• Like 6

Now that I'm old and have money I just buy new bikes and gear, do two laps at the track then pull into the pits and gripe about how the suspension shop screwed up my forks... Actually this past year I started cycling a lot more to increase my fitness. I stopped pounding out laps at the track and mostly raced instead of practice riding. If I did practice I did more sections of the track where I could work on technique and had my best season ever results wise. The fitness helped more than anything as I could ride faster for longer. Don't under estimate recovery and sleep and lay off the beer (unless my competition is reading this, then stay out late and keep pounding them back...)

• Like 6

Smaller bike, slower speeds with really good tires.

I ride a 250, and its not a race bike, so I think I'm good there.  Tires I have are fantastic for my terrain.  I'm pretty sure slower speeds would help greatly!

• Like 1

I'm 58. I try not to get caught up in someone elses pace. Whether my own age or younger, all my ride friends are, or have been, racers. Having never raced myself, I don't really "have" to slow down, as I never acquired the racing mentality of always riding with my hair on fire and maintaining that kind of pace. So I, presumably, don't feel the same sense of loss as a racer who's finding he's going to have to hang it up because of age and injury. Not to say I haven't been known to wick it up when I'm feeling in the zone.

But even being a non racer, I've had more than my share of injuries, and knock on wood, my last injury was 6 years ago, and I'd like to keep that going. For me, it wasn't quitting racing that I felt would enable me to keep enjoying riding with my friends, and at my current pace. It was ending the 12 year relationship with my XR400 and swapping to a different bike. All my friends have commented on how well I ride since I swapped to the 2 stroke KTM 300. I still ride my own pace, I've just made it easier to do so for my age and abilities.

If my friends want to do some radical hillclimb or technical section I'm uncomfortable with, I wait and watch. Been there, done that in my younger days and my friends know it. I can hold my own and I have a great time doing it. 

• Like 3

Being the only 15 year old I say that to follow your gut. Only ride as hard as you feel comfortable with. And if you feel your getting out of hand. Park it by a tree and sit down for a few. That's what I do if I scare myself. I barely crash and if I do it is usually a drop it in the corner or stuffing it in a really slow section. No momentum no balance. But when you get too much momentum and too adrenaline pushed . that's when I park and sit for a few. I am a quarter of your age. And I feel like I don't Want to take a risk and not let the faster guy pass me. He earned it. Lol

• Like 3

don't think about age, it's just an empty number and thinking about it is limiting you.

Never give never surrender so full throttle and ride on.

d25a579ca24e84b46e240a196f7b7ddc.jpg

don't forget about physical training and sex, the reason you think you're better when you were younger

is only because you were far more active as a youngster. 

• Like 2

Ride with more of a mix of older guys than what you are currently riding with. Everyone else should be then thinking the same as you.  I am older like you too and just know where to draw the line. I also refuse to get into racing and do not enter them . This helps keep me in one piece, as i know racing would bring out the beast mode in me.

Joe

• Like 3

The challenge of our age. We have responsibilities, family, etc. But feel alive when on the pipe! I ride alone mostly so little pressure to keep up other than try that hill or crossing. The urge to go for it is strong, I just have to remind myself, self employed, injured = no cash, no riding. Look for other things on the ride to enjoy, bobcat, new trail, standing on the pegs the whole way. No easy answer to the joy of being on the gas!

• Like 2

My problem is I started crashing as I got older!

oh. you are doing it wrong then. ?

i find that I get more satisfaction out of riding smoothly than I do out of riding balls-out fast. It also helps that the trails here tend to be rustic, technical and scenic.

I have always ridden alone fairly frequently, so breaking the bike or myself in the backwoods is frowned upon.

Edited by llamaface

oh. you are doing it wrong then. ?

i find that I get more satisfaction out of riding smoothly than I do out of riding balls-out fast. It also helps that the trails here tend to be rustic, technical and scenic.

I have always ridden alone fairly frequently, so breaking the bike or myself in the backwoods is frowned upon.

I only seem to crash when I'm riding with my much faster twenty something racer kids.  I think I see a pattern.

• Like 3

After this last wreck which I am still hurting pretty bad from (3rd bad wreck in 2 years requiring surgery) I am starting to realize that I am 60 years old and maybe not capable of riding like I did years ago. I ride with much younger guys, in fact I am in better shape than some guys half my age, but dammit, I'm still 60, and I'm trying to keep up with them. I guess I need to slow down a bit, even though its not noticeable to me maybe my reactions are a bit slower than they used to be. And I heal pretty quick, but I guess probably not as quick as someone half my age. Reluctantly I realize that yes, I do need to make some accommodations for getting older, but other than slowing down a bit and not riding everything like its a race I'm not sure what else to do. So, what do you guys do to accommodate for getting older?

Newer updated bikes are faster, smoother, and safer. I've dropped my new KTM minimally compared to even my '11 KTM that I replaced, and I'm riding so much smoother.

Not knocking the tried and true XR.. don't get me wrong!

• Like 2

What I do is buy a new 150 about every other year. Heck I have earned it.

I have a really good suspension gut and am not shy about spending the money to get it done for me.

I also kept a few short track bikes as someday I won't be able to dodge trees.