Older riders, what do YOU do to accommodate for getting older

Im 33, and I often wonder when my buddies and I will stop riding like we sometimes do. I mean, its not like we are A woods and never will be. But, there are plenty of times where we get goin pretty good to the point a tree is going to make Monday at work impossible.I feel like between some of our group its always a race in a sense....never wanting to be the "slower one"....and for what really. I guess we get our thrills...and we often do. I also dont race because I feel like that would only further my desire to push when I know i shouldnt. I rode a lil MX practice last couple years, but stayed away from racing. I know if I raced and my position was good...I'd take some chances that might not end well for me.

Well put!

After this last wreck which I am still hurting pretty bad from (3rd bad wreck in 2 years requiring surgery)  I am starting to realize that I am 60 years old and maybe not capable of riding like I did years ago.  I ride with much younger guys, in fact I am in better shape than some guys half my age, but dammit, I'm still 60, and I'm trying to keep up with them.  I guess I need to slow down a bit, even though its not noticeable to me maybe my reactions are a bit slower than they used to be.  And I heal pretty quick, but I guess probably not as quick as someone half my age.  Reluctantly I realize that yes, I do need to make some accommodations for getting older, but other than slowing down a bit and not riding everything like its a race I'm not sure what else to do.  So, what do you guys do to accommodate for getting older?

Buy a small bore 2T MX'er. Ride it like a kid, and stay in denial  ? . Age is but a number  ? .

Didn't read al lthe posts so don't know if it's been said yet.

You don't stop riding because you get old mate. You get old because you stop riding   :ride: .

I'm all about rythm these days. If you have rythm, you'll be smooth. If you're smooth, you'll be fast. And safe  ? .

Sounds like you need to keep a finger or two on the clutch and brakes at all times  :devil: . Sure It's your reaction time. Or, the time it takes you to react? LMAO, you must hate me ? .

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 1

After this last wreck which I am still hurting pretty bad from (3rd bad wreck in 2 years requiring surgery) I am starting to realize that I am 60 years old and maybe not capable of riding like I did years ago. I ride with much younger guys, in fact I am in better shape than some guys half my age, but dammit, I'm still 60, and I'm trying to keep up with them. I guess I need to slow down a bit, even though its not noticeable to me maybe my reactions are a bit slower than they used to be. And I heal pretty quick, but I guess probably not as quick as someone half my age. Reluctantly I realize that yes, I do need to make some accommodations for getting older, but other than slowing down a bit and not riding everything like its a race I'm not sure what else to do. So, what do you guys do to accommodate for getting older?

Get well soon Creeper, you only have a couple years left [emoji23][emoji23]... Kidding, we could all be so lucky to be riding at 60!! I still love off road and just convinced myself to hang up mx and go full enduro and trails, but I just threw a dual sport into the mix and it's somewhat satisfying for the off weekends and is much MUCH easier on the old bones!!
  • Like 3

What's this too old to race crap. It's no more dangerous than the two trail rides who just hit head on a moderate pace.

Afalac work's so don't be shy.

I just went 4th overall this year in the off road series I race and ordered a 2016 KTM 150 SX.

To say that not racing to stay safe is like whistling in the dark to keep your spirits up.

IMG_20150927_093118631.jpg

• Like 2

I was actually thinking a newer bike may help. The big problem with my late model XR is the front end, and it is very expensive to fix it. My latest wreck involved a whopper of front end deflection, but with what I hit at the speed I was going I'm not sure a better behaving front end would have made much difference. 6" or so tall root, angled slightly in the direction I ended up going.

Roots are tough.. the wheels always slide where the root directs them. The key I've found is always keep your front end light.. Blip the throttle before hitting the root.. this way just the rear end hits it and slides. But it also increases your speed, so the rear will slide more uncontrollably.

Random thoughts:

You know what's sad? I've dented my new FMF Fatty exhaust twice.. TWICE I SAY!! But I didn't even fall to do it. Both are directly behind the front wheel where a perfectly sized log got jammed between the front wheel and the pipe.

Odd, yes indeed bc why didn't I just wheelie over it?? Bc 2' before said evil log is a tree branch I gotta duck under, bc I don't wanna be clotheslined by Mother Nature. Hence two dings in my pipe. I have since removed the log from my trail....

I am 53 and I am still trying to improve my skills and speed for woods riding and hare scramble racing, so I am almost always charging and riding near my limit. Concessions to age include:

1. Switching to a 125 for primary riding. The smaller bike seems to result in fewer injuries to my knees, shoulders, and back (trouble spots), even though I am going just as fast as ever, judging from race results and riding with friends.

2. Using lighter (and cheaper!) boots. I've given up the high dollar Italian boots for lighter mid-range and budget boots. I got the idea from Jody Weisel of MXA. He notes the lighter boots put much less strain on the knees (a quick look at the formula for kinetic energy and you realize he is right!). So far I have not hurt my feet any more often than before, but my knees are much happier.

3. Running a steering stabilizer on ALL bikes. I bought mount kits for the 3 bikes I ride now, and swap the stabilizer between the bikes. I used to only use it for my KTM.

4. Becoming a "fair weather" rider. I will still ride in extreme heat and dust, but I have given up mud forever. Virtually all my significant injuries the last few years have been related to wet conditions, so no more wet conditions for me.

5. Better first turn judgement when racing. I don't press to hard in the first and second corner of a race start unless I am really near the front. If I'm in the pack, the focus is now getting through the early turns without going down, rather than trying to pass others.

Well said.

What's this too old to race crap. It's no more dangerous than the two trail rides who just hit head on a moderate pace.

I just went 4th overall this year in the off road series I race and ordered a 2016 KTM 150 SX.

To say that not racing to stay safe is like whistling in the dark to keep your spirits up.

I've never injured myself racing bc I have my focus heightened. Always dicking around on trails, climbing impossible stuff, etc.

• Like 1

I say eat right, exercise, hit the trails and follow the youngsters and pick up their pieces! It's all about how you feel and go at it. We all know as we age our reflexes change, some of us have worn out joints! Talking about joints. I know a soon to be 75 year old who took this summer off from his harescramble's to have both knee's replaced, plans to be ready in March 2016 to go at it again! 

• Like 2

As far as racing is concerned, I don't do MX any more...BUT someone showed me a form of racing I just might try if I can find an event near me.  It's like a hare scrambles but riders are let out of the start one at a time and are timed for 1 lap which looked like to took about 6 to 8 min. A new rider is released from the start maybe every minute so if you're really slow, probably only the one guy behind you is going to pass before your lap is over.  Kinda like an autocross, if you guys know how they do those.  Does anyone know what this type of event is called?

Maybe some of the more senior TT'ers should think about a smaller bike.  They really are a blast.  Not necessarily a race bike like a YZ125 but some 100 - 125 DS bike.  They can be manhandled and especially if your buds have the same size bike, there's no pressure to "catch up" like if you're riding with some 250's.  I used to have a friend that bought a 100 cc. DS, "enduro" type bike along with his riding buddy and he told me he's never had so much fun.  Of course, his everyday bike was a Harley.

I'm 61 but closer to 62 then I want to admit. Took this sport up in early spring 2012. I ride rough New England crap, I very seldom ride alone for starters, I usually lead cause I know where to go. The younger guys ( 50ish) I ride with have all been riding for their whole lives and say I set a fast enough pace. When I wave guys around to lead for awhile I never try to keep up if they are faster then I feel I can safely ride, they'll wait at the next intersection.

I ride and like the tractor xr400 for terrain I am riding. When I get tired I slow down or stop and take a break. I might ride 30 miles or maybe 100 depending on how I feel.

The reality is that dirt bike riding saved my life cause it caused me chest pains which I had checked out and had some plumbing cleaned out.

where in New England do you ride

47, so I'm just now on the verge of accepting what is realistic about where my longevity in this sport actually is and it sucks to have to accept the reality of getting older and having to turn it down a notch or 2. Part of the problem is for us older riders is that we are forced to ride with younger riders because the older crew is slim pickings and not reliable enough to count on if your a die hard like I figure a few of us are on this forum. My rule the last couple of years is simple, I try (it's not easy) to ride at 75% of what I feel is my ability to allow me to ride another day..... HOPEFULLY!!

That's a big part of the problem, the older riders are few and far between.  So, since my kids live just a few minutes from me its easy just to go riding with them.  But I never go riding with them AND their friends! :crazy:

Maybe some of the more senior TT'ers should think about a smaller bike.  They really are a blast.  Not necessarily a race bike like a YZ125 but some 100 - 125 DS bike.  They can be manhandled and especially if your buds have the same size bike, there's no pressure to "catch up" like if you're riding with some 250's.  I used to have a friend that bought a 100 cc. DS, "enduro" type bike along with his riding buddy and he told me he's never had so much fun.  Of course, his everyday bike was a Harley.

My middle son was joking to me yesterday that next time I go riding with them I'm riding the XR fitty. ??

• Like 1

As far as racing is concerned, I don't do MX any more...BUT someone showed me a form of racing I just might try if I can find an event near me. It's like a hare scrambles but riders are let out of the start one at a time and are timed for 1 lap which looked like to took about 6 to 8 min. A new rider is released from the start maybe every minute so if you're really slow, probably only the one guy behind you is going to pass before your lap is over. Kinda like an autocross, if you guys know how they do those. Does anyone know what this type of event is called?

It's called Sprint enduro, the series I run also has them. They run special test's and you can do it at your own pace.

If your in New England look up the JDAY off road series.

• Like 1

It's called Sprint enduro, the series I run also has them. They run special test's and you can do it at your own pace.

If your in New England look up the JDAY off road series.

Sprint Enduro!  Thanks for that.  I'll have to do some searching for events although I believe someone already told me there's none in Mn.

Agreed. I find age classes to be very doable at 70 and I usually enter the 0-50/0-60 class. I ride offroad only and think it is safer to ride enduro and HS events due to all the help available and marked courses. My trail riding buddies always turn everything into a race due to weak egos and it gets too hectic often. Overall I find an event more controlled and much safer than just  trail racing. Most competitors want to finish so they keep their aggression under control.  My worst crashes/surgerys have occurred while play riding.

• Like 1