Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade old XR air suspension

Good Day Everybody!

Been a long time since I have logged on. I ended up selling my dual sport awhile back, but I have a new project on my hands and need some guidance from you fine folk.

My dad gave me his old.... old... Honda dirtbike. It runs good and is lightweight and fun on the trails, but it is a bit of a Frankenstein motorcycle. All the parts seem to be 1980's era, but the frame is from a XR200, the suspension is from a XR250, and the engine is a 185, presumably rebuilt to have more power than a 200. It definitely doesn't lack on the power side, but the suspension is rough enough to shake your teeth out. I am assuming it is the old air type suspension from the air valves located at the top of the tree. My wife has been wanting to learn to ride, so I thought I would strip this bike down bare bones, give it a fresh coat and paint, and make it look nice. Since I want to tear it down, what suspension could I swap on to this thing to make it ride nice and plush for m' lady? I have heard that the front XR400 forks are a good deal, but I don't know what will fit on to this old XR200 frame. I think the rear suspension would be easy with a simple shock and spring swap, keeping the same swing arm... Am I mistaken?

I would appreciate anybodys input on this. I was hoping to get something done for her by Christmas, but that is a long shot at this point. I don't have a lot of money to dump in to this, but maybe there is something cheap out there to swap in. Thanks everybody! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! ( I will post some pics up as soon as I remember to)

Well, after doing some reading around here, it seems that these swaps are VERY year dependent. And, if the forks are the same as the ones I am reading, most people seems to love the front 250 forks. maybe I just need to let some air pressure out? I think I need a little bit more information off the frames and let you all know. One thing that also has me confused, is the engine in it is a rfvc, but it seems the 185 was never a rfvc engine?? maybe it is a 200 after all... IDK, once I look over the bike a little harder and post some pics, maybe that will be mor helpful. :D