Sign in to follow this  

XR600 Muffler

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some ideas. I am working on a 1995 XR600 Project. I have had the bike just a few days, but already created my wish list and have most items coming. The stock muffler has some big divots in it, otherwise I would just reuse it. After all I have spent, I just cant justify another $300 on a muffler.  I have a stock 450x muffler that I think would look good on it, but its not a direct fit.  Has anyone done the conversion? I am curious as to what you had to do and how involved it is.

Thanks in advance.

I bet you can cut/modify the stock midpipe you have to work with the new can you want to use... I just did it to mine using an Akropovic streetbike can that I found in a parking lot and the midpipe I cut from my stock XR600 exhaust.  It worked out well, was stupidly inexpensive (almost free), looks and sounds great, and is rock f*ing solid.  I hit the local muffler shop and the kid made me a flare for free, I bought $1.29 worth of stainless rivets, 1 cutoff wheel, and my brother has a welder... that's probably the only thing that might have increased cost.

I won't hijack your thread w/tons of write-up and pics but here's the link to mine...  it's not real detailed but if I can help, feel free to hit me up.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1159270-diy-akropovic-ti-exhaust/

P.S.   Getting rid of the stock exhaust and the "snorkel" into the airbox were by far the best 2 mods i've made so far... just do it.

Edited by nailit69

Thanks for the Reply! That came out great. I have a welder and I am sure I can make it work, I just wanted to skip the guesswork if I could. Snorkel is gone already, and I am adding an FCR carb to it. Its going to be a project for sure.

Edited by Roycenh