Sign in to follow this  

san juan de la pilas

now that we are back in season , has / does anyone know the condition of the canyon pass up thru 

marias rancho. is it open or passable for "novice" riders to get thru san juan de la pilas, it was hit hard

a few years ago with back to back hurricanes , i have a few newbies that i am taking down south

and want to connect san juanico up to mulage and use that route ,stop and see the folks at the rancho

etc,etc etc ..talk was the mexi-road building professionals were slated to get those repairs done...

not sure if that has been complete...we are on "lite" bikes not adventure bikes

thanks az1liner 

The road from San Ignacio to Patrocinio to Rancho Sauza to San Juan de las Pillas is fine for advanced riders. From Sauza up the last 3-4 miles its very rocky and not well marked, beginners will not make it. However, the route after San Juan de las Pillas is very very hard after SJ Pillas. Both the boulders in the arroyo and later on the huge landslide on the hill near the top (La Cresta) where one can see both coastlines. The path from the Guadalupe side does still go to La Cresta for the view. The road from Guadalupe to Magdalena is also cut, probably forever with a HUGE washout. Advanced riders with ropes might be able to get down it. So the only way accross is the miserably bouldered road from Ballenas to Mulege or versions of that route. Say hi to Maria if you see them. They always need sugar, instant coffee, and he needs a new lasso.

These notes are from last February 2015, not sure what has changed since then.

Good Luck!

Edited by JackAttack

So the only way accross is the miserably bouldered road from Ballenas to Mulege or versions of that route.

I agree, from what I have read and some of the routes I have ridden sounds like zero chance of getting novice riders through San Juan de la Pila to Guadalupe, much better chance of success using the San Raymundo route. Unfortunately the west side I too found to be somewhat monotonous and frustrating from the standpoint of the scenery per mile ratio, the wash is long and a little tedious. Purisima and the Comodus are great for novices to visit unless you are just trying to "big deal" them.

Whatever you choose do, please share here after.

Bruce

• Like 1