Sign in to follow this  

How old is to old

From my outside standpoint as I don't race.  If racing for points in local stuff, then when your recovery time is equal to or longer than the intervals between races.  If racing just for fun, then not being sure if you can finish the race, not be dead last, and be a burden to the race organizers.  Being 45 myself, I know that age can be a factor but it can be over come.  I know of people who are much younger but not as strong/skilled/tough/committed as some of us older fossils.  If you mean nationals level then I would have to think under 16.

Too old?? Heck, the best riders i know are all over 40 and many in their 50's. Plenty of riders ( not racers) in their 70's around too.

Joe

• Like 3

Depends what your expectations are. If you want to be a national hero, you better of 'gone pro' by age 16. If you want to have fun, then waiting until you are 80 is probably a bit too late. Anything else, some place in between. I run a race or two a year. I often deliberately wait until all the other riders are 50 feet ahead until I snick it in to gear and pull out. Usually, I'll end the race having passed half of them.I do not race to prove anything. I race to have fun. For me. Nothing makes me giggle more than to watch the over zealous ride way beyond their abilities and to see them have amazing crashes, to which I ride around. People with huge amounts of money invested in a super fast race bike only to blow the corner, go wide and end the day.

I stopped racing 'competitively' in my mid 20's. I knew my keen edge had dulled and continue was foolhardy. But I still hit the track. Relaxing, with a fine cigar and snifter full of cognac at the end of the day.

• Like 2

I'm not looking to be a world champion or even a track champion. But like you said a couple races a year for shits and giggles. That's all. I think I'm gonna look into it for next year. Just gotta get my jumps down better

I'm 38 and I was just thinking about it for fun. I'm in decent shape. I'm not looking to win just to compete for fun

i started racing at 40, doing enduros. I personally am too much of a pansy to race MX.

• Like 1

I'm not looking to be a world champion or even a track champion. But like you said a couple races a year for shits and giggles. That's all. I think I'm gonna look into it for next year. Just gotta get my jumps down better

No, you do not have to get them better. Go slower, get your technique. Who cares if the kid on the 50 passes you twenty times. Finesse makes you better. Proper riding, be it a jump, corner, whoops, is all about control. The big mistakes people make is trying to 'master the triple' when even a single is not a natural experience.

I'm 34, fat, and out of shape....I love racing. I race 30+ B/C because all of us have jobs to go to on Monday. There's a few die hards in my class but hey they were pro or really good back in the day.

• Like 3

you guys are killing me with those silly questions like how old, too old, too young etc   :thumbsdn:

don't be a &%$#@!, if you still like it then go and ride, don't put to much of a philosophy into it. 

• Like 1

This going to sound like philosophy but you can't do anything when your too old to physically do it or worst case dead so do everything you want and can while your still alive and able.

I guess its nice to hear other peoples options but then they are just someone else's options.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I started at 45 as a true beginner.

Ya I rode bikes when I was young in the late 70's early 80's but really never got back on a motorbike again for more than 20 years later when I was 50 in 2010. I'm not really into racing but am slightly interest. If I do, I know my limitations. With that said, on the right day and trail I can still school a lot of the younger dudes I ride with but I know I'm not 20 any more.

I decided I want to get into BIG mountain snowboarding/mountain biking when I was 33. Moved out west to a ski resort and went hard for 12 or so years. I lot of this is life style choices (I never got married or had kids) but I learned when I was young that life is short and enjoy (within reason) every day cus it may be your last and there's no regrets when you dead, only when you're old.

Sounds like I'm preaching again

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

The race organizers most of the time have  skill levels like classes A, B, C, and age group's. Then it's up to you to decide is my health in tune? can I keep the pace up for length of race? Do I have my bike prepped? A lot comes into play! Mostly I'm I prepared to deal with injuries?   

I'm starting again next year at fifty. I haven't raced or even ridden for over 20 years. But I watched a few videos and the junior class is still the junior class. Even old and fat and on a 27 year old bike I will still finish ahead of quite a few. And the bonus is that as an official old guy I only have to do one loop!