Sign in to follow this  

Sad riding areas..

Well. I figure that most of the places around here I can go to are about as nice as the county dump. I mean really. Does anyone else have to ride at trash places? I go to Dade city MX and they are pretty clean for a old facility. But croom in brooksville Florida is just trashy. I still ride there but its got litter everywhere and park upkeep is below average. They groom the trails maybe 1 time per month when really it should be groomed weekly . idk. Maybe I'm ranting but does anyone else feel this way about places you've ridden?

That's the nice thing about where I live, virtually unlimited riding, unless you like the track.  No complaints here.

• Like 3

Well. I figure that most of the places around here I can go to are about as nice as the county dump. I mean really. Does anyone else have to ride at trash places? I go to Dade city MX and they are pretty clean for a old facility. But croom in brooksville Florida is just trashy. I still ride there but its got litter everywhere and park upkeep is below average. They groom the trails maybe 1 time per month when really it should be groomed weekly . idk. Maybe I'm ranting but does anyone else feel this way about places you've ridden?

They groom your trails? DUDE, get real! just be happy you have a place to ride! our trails get beaten and then we move to a new trail or sometimes trail repair can work..

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 3

Yeah, same here....NO one pretty much has to go to "facilities" of any kind to ride. All offroad is state and national forests generally with huge trail systems. We do have to fight to keep the areas open to ORV's, but well worth it.

Joe

• Like 1

They groom your trails? DUDE, get real! just be happy you have a place to ride! our trails get beaten and then we move to a new trail or sometimes trail repair can work..

I am. I pay to ride there because I enjoy it. And I didn't know you guys don't have places that you don't have to have a membership to ride. I guess that's Florida for ya.

Yeah, same here....NO one pretty much has to go to "facilities" of any kind to ride. All offroad is state and national forests generally with huge trail systems. We do have to fight to keep the areas open to ORV's, but well worth it.

Joe

huh. The police stopped us even after we payed to ride In a forest.we weren't doing wrong either

I am. I pay to ride there because I enjoy it. And I didn't know you guys don't have places that you don't have to have a membership to ride. I guess that's Florida for ya.

there are places in IL that you pay to ride as well, but to expect someone to do weekly trail grooming is a bit much. weekly grooming of a MX track sure, but not on the trails. as long as they cut/move fallen trees, maybe spray the poison ivy in the spring, repair busted bridges..etc.. i am pretty happy

Groomed trails? I have never seen that. Nor would I want to.

Groomed MX track, well it depends. A REAL MX should never be groomed. A modern one that is more like a SX than a MX has to be groomed.

• Like 2

So did you pick any of the trash up?

I was in our local forest with my family (not riding) Friday and Saturday and filled a 55 gallon drum liner (giant trash bag) each day. That wasn't the reason I was there, but I certainly wasn't going to just keep driving and whine about it. Talking/complaining about it won't get the d-bags to change their ways, but if somebody doesn't clean it up, it may just get the gates locked.

This year has been slow for me as far as trail work, but last year I logged ~120hrs. Not much trash to speak of out on the trails we worked, but we had to do some substantial "brushing" and erosion repair. Same story in that situation though, it's more convenient for the Forest service to lock the gates than for them to do maintenance. It's easier for me to just do the work (and it is enjoyable in its own way) than it is for me to TRY to figure out how to get closed trails reopened. I like to use the trails so I'm just paying my dues.

• Like 6

I love the place I ride! No complaints about the trails. But people treat it like their dump. They dump shingles everywhere, wood, mattresses the list goes on.... It's sad that people do it because it's getting out of hand and probably going to get the place closed.

Local spots around here are $6 a day to park in the desert.... Not really sure how the money "goes back to the trails". If any work get done out here its by local clubs who volunteer a weekend to cut new trails or do maintenance.

huh. The police stopped us even after we payed to ride In a forest.we weren't doing wrong either

Police? we ride 30 miles from the nearest road sometimes and the mountain trail systems are all mapped, legal to ride on , and kept up by us volunteers. Vehicle tab fees and fuel taxes pay for most of the trail systems we use.

Joe

• Like 2

Yeah, some of the ferals just trash the place.

If you started cleaning the rubbish they left with the intention of not stopping till you're done, you wouldn't finish.

I take some and turf it in the bin, if I find it in "my" section where I pull up.

I don't ride woods or trails, but we have so many tracks in Texas and La. to ride.

There are kept pretty clean and prepped, but also most of us riders will clean our immediate area when we pack up to leave.

There is a trail system North of Houston for woods riders (Sam Houston State Park), but have never been there.

• Like 1

MX tracks in TX are quality, and the offroad areas are always good. If a postage stamp riding area sucks, it won't last and it'll shut down.

Are you riding on state land, private land, BLM land? Maybe picking up offroad racing would provide new beautiful CLEAN riding opportunities. And I promise you'll be a faster rider at the end of season one.

There is a small mx track not far from me that is on private land. The owner of the land has tolerated it being there ( no complaints). Over the last five years my son and I have noticed a lot more trash being left there. It's walking distance from my parents house so we would go up with trash bags and pick up. Well the last time I went to pick up trash there was so much that I couldn't carry the bag. I asked a few people, who I knew used the track, if they could bring it out on a four wheeler and I would dispose of it. That was two years ago. Not one person I asked, nor anyone else I met up there and asked, would take the thing out. Mind you, I don't even ride the track ( I'm a woods guy) but I hate the idea of the land owner coming in there and seeing this mess. I'm done trying to help these idiots who can't even pick up after themselves. What's even worse is I'm starting to notice trash along the trails up there. Sickening.

Joe

Huge is not always part of the description. Small and beat to a pulp describes the TX, LA, AR, MS, AL  public trails. You guys out west are very very fortunate.