Sign in to follow this  

Whats your Ride? (for getting to the track)

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of our U.S based readers can chime in here.

I'm making a move from Ireland to Portland next spring, and will hopefully be bringing my 2 MX'ers with me.

At home I use a VW transporter van which fits 2 bikes, water, washer an gear or 3 at a squeeze.

I don't really know what to look for in the US as Mercedes Vito, Ford Transit Custom and VW Transporter don't seem to be available?

Mercedes/Dodge sprinter is too big.

Appreciate the help!

Rob

Hi all,

I'm making a move from Ireland to Portland next spring, and will hopefully be bringing my 2 MX'ers with me.

At home I use a VW transporter van which fits 2 bikes, water, washer an gear or 3 at a squeeze.

I don't really know what to look for in the US as Mercedes Vito, Ford Transit Custom and VW Transporter don't seem to be available?

Appreciate the help!

Rob

If you are talking about Portland Oregon ( not Portland Maine), then "track" riding/ MX will be only a minor part of the vast riding available.  There are literally millions of acres of offroad trails within a days drive open to you so you are not limited to just tiny tracks. Keep this in mind when choosing the vehicle.

Joe

Sorry, Portland Oregon!

Yea, I was thinking about a toy hauler......and a regular car.

Here a few people use trucks. (Toyota hi-lux, similar to tacoma) but the idea of not being able to park and walk away because bikes are on display bothers me.....

Is there a different speed limit on the freeway when towing a trailer?

Hi all,

Appreciate the help!

Rob

Pretty sure the Ford is called Transit Connect here. I saw a small Mercedes (or was it a Dodge) van the other day....might have been the Vito, I was thinking "what a perfect size "toy hauler" for two. 

I have (and have had) 1 Chev 1 ton van, 1 GMC extended 1 ton and 1 Ford extended 1 ton.....By far the shorter (standard length) Chev was my favorite. 

F350 4dr Longbox dually with a 8in lift, 40in tires, 600hp and 1200ft pounds of torque. Perfect commuter!

Joking aside, I do sort of want an "All american car" so was tempted by a Camaro SS!

I think it would look good with a hitch an toy hauler on the back :-)

Pretty sure the Ford is called Transit Connect here. I saw a small Mercedes (or was it a Dodge) van the other day....might have been the Vito, I was thinking "what a perfect size "toy hauler" for two. 

I have (and have had) 1 Chev 1 ton van, 1 GMC extended 1 ton and 1 Ford extended 1 ton.....By far the shorter (standard length) Chev was my favorite. 

The transit connect we have here alright, but its smaller than the Transit Custom.

The custom is between a connect and Sprinter size.....it could be an option though, as they fit 1 bike and all the gear.

What model was the Chevy? The only midsize vans I know are the Ford E150/250/350 etc.

Hello to everyone, i'm in need of help here in Colorado. Can anyone tell me as to what is the latest motor the will fit this frame with no mods. Thanks, hot 98.

Joking aside, I do sort of want an "All american car" so was tempted by a Camaro SS!

I think it would look good with a hitch an toy hauler on the back :-)

The transit connect we have here alright, but its smaller than the Transit Custom.

The custom is between a connect and Sprinter size.....it could be an option though, as they fit 1 bike and all the gear.

What model was the Chevy? The only midsize vans I know are the Ford E150/250/350 etc.

Ford has the Connect, Chevy has the Express (GMC has one as well, same as the Express) and Dodge has their new Euro van. The Connect is Fords Euro van, can be had with low or high roof, perhaps the one you where looking for? Only problem with the Ford at this time, is they are a new vehicle to the states, so nothing available used.

Hi all,

Appreciate the help!

Rob

You can look at what's for sale in Portland craigslist to get an idea of what might be for sale.. you can also scroll through the threads and see what projects guys have made here.. just to get ideas..

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/cto?hasPic=1&query=van