What do you carry on a trail ride?

Coming back to riding dirt bikes after a 25 year hiatus. I've been riding and racing mountain bikes for the last 10 years. I always carry a spare tube, tube patches, tire levers and a small pump or CO2 inflator. I also carry a multi-tool and spare chain link. I'm amazed at how many people I run into on the trail with a flat that have no tube and no way to inflate it.

So now that I'm getting on dirt bikes I'm curious what people carry on them and how they carry it (fender bag, hydration pack?) Is it possible to change a tube in the field or are the tires too hard to get off the rim?

Thanks!

Doc

Coming back to riding dirt bikes after a 25 year hiatus. I've been riding and racing mountain bikes for the last 10 years. I always carry a spare tube, tube patches, tire levers and a small pump or CO2 inflator. I also carry a multi-tool and spare chain link. I'm amazed at how many people I run into on the trail with a flat that have no tube and no way to inflate it.

So now that I'm getting on dirt bikes I'm curious what people carry on them and how they carry it (fender bag, hydration pack?) Is it possible to change a tube in the field or are the tires too hard to get off the rim?

Thanks!

Doc

it is possible to change a tire in the field, but unless I get a flat with a trials tire, I'd rather ride back to the truck at fix it comfortably with a beer. It takes me 10 min at the truck, and more like 30 or 40 on the trail. Many tires are plenty stiff enough to ride flat. We use 403/404, but the maxxis IT's are even stiffer.

I carry mini tire levers, spare 21" tube (works in rear tire too), a mtn bike pump, patch kit and a selection of compact tools that are enough to most any normal adjustment on a bike. oh, a spare master link too.

Edited by llamaface
  • Like 1

My list is too long and at some point I'll take a pic with descriptions of what I carry in my pack and why.

But I do carry a 21" light duty tube, CO inflater, small double action pump, patch kit, and motion pro levers/wrench's to deal with flats if I absolutely have to do this on the trail.

Otherwise, 6 or so HEAVY duty zip ties to get back to the truck. Something like this.

$T2eC16h,!zEE9s3!Z%29HjBRL7uLKR3g~~60_35

Or go tubliss.

For me it's about using parts like breakaway levers etc, then sure every thing is good before you go for a ride, then carrying enough to fix basic stuff to get you back to your camp or truck. When I go on really remote rides where I know it can be a s%%&t show if we have to get broken down bikes out (IE completely destroyed  a rad or hole in the engine case) I ride with a buddy and carry a tow rope.

I've ridden 20+ miles with a flat tire and never had any trouble with it slipping or coming off the rim. I personally have never used zipties for that, although I do carry a few more makeshift radiator hose repairs and stuff.

Ya last time I did actually flat, I rode out over 10 miles with out zip tying but this just seems like something that's easy to carry and do. It would be crappy if you rode the tire off the rim if it can be avoided

I've been trail riding and competing  since the mid sixties and seldom had problems on a ride, and I've never had to spend a night in the woods,

I have Tubliss front and rear on one bike and I also can ride out on a flat, done it several times with a flat front tire until the tire casing started leaking air. ?   New front tire. ?

I carry a plug kit for the tubeless tires and a CO2 inflator, plus a small Progressive Suspension tire pump for adjusting pressures. I do not want to change a tube on the trail, so no tube. Never needed the CO2 inflator.

I do carry a master link and press so I can service the chain, happens every five years or so because of trail debris.

Also because kljhygfdsftyghujioiy7utrewasrdfcvghbjnmknjhbgfcxdghfcxzcvbdcdvbnmnbvciuytw terrain issues  I've had to hide bikes in the woods and hike out, not a problem just wear hinged riding boots or pack hiking shoes. About once every 15 years.

Never had an engine failure in the woods.

I use bark busters on all but one bike (it now has folding levers),  so I don't have a lever problem.

Never had a cable failure on a ride.

For long rides;

I pack a fuel transfer hose, used maybe three times since late sixties.

Block and tackle for retrieving a bike (I ride in the mountains during simmer).

Overnight supplies just in case.

And always a GPS and paper maps.

For day rides I carry no tools, my attitude is I will ride back to staging (usually), get a ride, get a tow, or walk.

As always your mileage may vary (YMMV), just my experience..

Edited by Chuck.