Sign in to follow this  

What's this and do I need it

I have a CRF230L there is a black cylinder with tubes attached to the LHS of the engine (see pic) I guess it is some sort of emissions control thingy but I think it looks ugly. We have no emissions check here so I was wanting to remove it. Is it a straight pull out and re-plumbing the tubing or do I need to change something or more importantly should I just leave it alone?

I have a CRF230L there is a black cylinder with tubes attached to the LHS of the engine (see pic) I guess it is some sort of emissions control thingy but I think it looks ugly. We have no emissions check here so I was wanting to remove it. Is it a straight pull out and re-plumbing the tubing or do I need to change something or more importantly should I just leave it alone?

Hello,

it's the charcoal canister, it's for emissions. It's not exactly a straight pull out. I removed mine because I hate the extra weight and parts. Less parts is less problems. To remove it it's very simple. It has 4 tubes.

1- is air, it's a tube with an air filter thingy

2- goes to the fuel tank to collect gas fumes

3- goes to purge valve, the thing that looks like a horn

4- is open to air

I attached a picture from the service manual.

Remove the tube from the gas tank and install a gas tank vent valve, its a tube with a one way valve cap (google it, yes it looks like a ding dong)

Remove the canister with the purge valve (the horn looking thing)

The purge valve has 2 tubes, 1 goes to the top of the carb, the other goes to the bottom of the carb. unplug those tubes from the carb.

Use one of the tubes you have to connect the 2 carb nipples you just opened together.

That's it. If you have any questions post pictures. 

canister.png