Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Best amateur race to judge talent?

I know there is lots of talk about all of these big amateur races out there and what events are the best for young riders?      Myself I feel the best events are Mini O's at Gatorback (because they race both tracks)  and I like Mammoth Mountain also!   Gatorback seems to have the best of both worlds?       LL to me seems small and does not have the feel of a track they would be competing on as a pro.  

Ever been to LL ? It's not small by no means. It looks like that cause of the flat ground it's built on. Look up the lap times there. They are almost 2 minutes flat. That's a pretty long track for kids that are hauling the mail Id say LL judges the talent the best because you have to go through fast riders to make it. Mini o's you just show up and race unless a lot of people signed up for your class and those other races you named are more local talent then they are nationally

IMO, its not just one race, its the whole amateur season that shows true talent. Look at Jeremy Martins and Dungeys records at LLs, you never know. A lot of hero LL guys never did anything and a few guys who never won at LLs became heros.

IMO, its not just one race, its the whole amateur season that shows true talent. Look at Jeremy Martins and Dungeys records at LLs, you never know. A lot of hero LL guys never did anything and a few guys who never won at LLs became heros.

That is very true. But a lot of guys that are fast no never was a mature star. Dungey wasn't anything special in his mature days. He almost didn't even get a pro ride tell decoster gambled on him

The Lorettas format of qualifiers is good for a race, but not as a judge of talent. There's too many expensive races across the country even if you are straight in qualifying for people without a lot of money especially if you get something as a simple as top end or &%$#@!ed up wheels and then you have to drive 100's of miles to the next qualifier.

I would agree that one race should not be the decider.   It is odd though to see so many older riders wanting to go to LL?   There are so many other tracks out there that are wonderful to visit.   Dungy kinda broke the mold on LL because he really did not do much there.