Sign in to follow this  

Loud cackle/popping on hard acceleration.

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I have used this site a lot through the years just from my Google searches but I'm having trouble with this one. I don't really know how to search for it so I figured it was time to become a member.

I just bought a 2007 DRZ 400s. It snowed here in iowa right after I got it but I got it out to putter around a bit today. I took it out on the pavement to open it up a bit and was startled by a pretty loud popping or cracking noise. It only happens if I pull hard from lower in the revs. If I take it easy on the throttle it does not do it. Even when I wind it way up. I stopped and revved it in neutral and it does not do it. I thought it was maybe the drive chain. It is not loose though. Back at the house I noticed that the fmf slip on did not have a clamp where it joins the stock header. Is it building to much pressure and popping there? I rode it in the yard somemore. And did some short pulls from down low but it doesn't do it, I'm guessing due to wheel spin. Back on the pavement it still does it. So it basically does it in high torque situations. The bike also has the 3x3 mod. Any help is appreciated. I don't really know how to diagnose this since I can't get it to do it when it's not driving. Thanks!

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I have used this site a lot through the years just from my Google searches but I'm having trouble with this one. I don't really know how to search for it so I figured it was time to become a member.

I just bought a 2007 DRZ 400s. It snowed here in iowa right after I got it but I got it out to putter around a bit today. I took it out on the pavement to open it up a bit and was startled by a pretty loud popping or cracking noise. It only happens if I pull hard from lower in the revs. If I take it easy on the throttle it does not do it. Even when I wind it way up. I stopped and revved it in neutral and it does not do it. I thought it was maybe the drive chain. It is not loose though. Back at the house I noticed that the fmf slip on did not have a clamp where it joins the stock header. Is it building to much pressure and popping there? I rode it in the yard somemore. And did some short pulls from down low but it doesn't do it, I'm guessing due to wheel spin. Back on the pavement it still does it. So it basically does it in high torque situations. The bike also has the 3x3 mod. Any help is appreciated. I don't really know how to diagnose this since I can't get it to do it when it's not driving. Thanks!

Try dropping the needle clip one slot to raise the needle and richen up the jetting, also one size larger main, sounds like it could be running lean from the drop in temp.