Sign in to follow this  

I think I am loosing coolant, have smell from right top side of motor.

Hi,

I think I am loosing coolant, can't see anything below the WP, radiators are dry, filled the overflow to keep an eye it (was very low when cold) and now back to a low level.

Started looking around after it was running, I can smell coolant from the right side by the top of hte head, no viable leaking or stains.

Oil looks clean and is not milky when I check, coolant is nice and green.

Gonna change the oil and make sure is all good, what/where should I start for the leak/smell (RTV mod or too late?) 

Isn't the overflow bottle just supposed to be for overflow, not a reservoir? As in not supposed to be much in it. If it's full it's gonna blow out, as far as I know.

Hi,

I think I am loosing coolant, can't see anything below the WP, radiators are dry, filled the overflow to keep an eye it (was very low when cold) and now back to a low level.

Started looking around after it was running, I can smell coolant from the right side by the top of hte head, no viable leaking or stains.

Oil looks clean and is not milky when I check, coolant is nice and green.

Gonna change the oil and make sure is all good, what/where should I start for the leak/smell (RTV mod or too late?)

dump the overflow bottle, fill the radiators, burp the system, and ride.

the overflow container is for expansion, not filling

I guess I should be clear, I do not use the Overflow for filling just to keep an eye on the level (as posted here in Thumpertalk as a good thing to do).

The radiator is full, mainly looking for help with the clear smell I am getting from the top of the head it seems. I can't find anything about this when I searched about this being common..

ride in rain recently?

everytime I ride to wrok in rain, it smells  the next time I use it....all the road debris just bake on the exhaust/engine and the smell could feel like coolant sometimes...but it's not.

I guess I should be clear, I do not use the Overflow for filling just to keep an eye on the level (as posted here in Thumpertalk as a good thing to do).

The radiator is full, mainly looking for help with the clear smell I am getting from the top of the head it seems. I can't find anything about this when I searched about this being common..

do as stated above, you want to insure there isn't air in the system causing pressure to climb. then check again after a long ride