Sign in to follow this  

Suspension linkage grease.

My 2016 300rr has just ticked over 4hrs so just giving it a check over, I thought it might be worth greasing the bearings in the linkage. Anyway the liqui moly stuff isn't available locally so looking for an alternative that's easy to get my hands on in the uk. Also is it a pretty straight forward job? Thanks in advance.

This might end up being like a oil topic. In reality grease is grease if all your doing is looking for chassis lubrication. Just choose anything off the shelf and it will work fine.

The only exception to this was on my KTM. For some reason the PDS Heim joint has a teflon coating that can only handle Bel Ray or Maxima waterproof grease. All other greases strip the teflon and destroy the joint very quickly.

Here is what I use and why. Tacky moly grease, the same ugly black stuff you will find on the fifth wheel of tractor trailer units everywhere. Its very viscous , resists washing very well and the moly component offers decent lubricity even if the carrier oil  diminishes. I have over 350 hours on my 08 linkage using this stuff, many times submerged and have only ever needed to replace the lower shock bearing which is na anyhow.

Edited by widebear

Dude you are way overthinking it pull bearings apart and grease and

sleep well

• Like 2

Some photos. I didn't take photos of the OEM dog bones because I was installing the Fastway & cant find my photos of the swing-arm at the motor;

IMG_5235.jpg?v=0&p=33&x=1&a=BaSkUYAQBsfq

XT Lower Shock Bushings & Seals

IMG_5225.jpg?v=0&p=33&x=1&a=Ba7t4GKBh5C1

XT Lower Shock Bearing In Linkage

IMG_5227.jpg?v=0&p=33&x=1&a=BapvknTl5PXl

XT Rear Dog Bone (Above) & Seal  ***Loose

IMG_5230.jpg?v=0&p=33&x=1&a=BbYeitcO9Kz6

XT Linkage @ Swing Arm Bearing & Seal

IMG_5032.jpg?v=0&p=33&x=1&a=BbU7Zv0nZPBh

Fastway Dog Bone Bearings & Seal @ Frame

Edited by Bedunjgi
  • Like 1

Amsoil synthetic polymeric grease (heavy equipment).  I swapped all the seals for tighter fitting orings and retention shims.  Grease once and forget about it all year, doesn't get easier.

Amsoil synthetic polymeric grease (heavy equipment).  I swapped all the seals for tighter fitting orings and retention shims.  Grease once and forget about it all year, doesn't get easier.

Maybe you should sell little kits with those o-rings and shims.

Not worth the hassle

To you,,,but might be for your customers. Better to give than to receive! ;) Tis the season.