2002 DRZ 400 starts great, runs great and restarts great within first 5 minutes however will not restart after that.

My 2002 DRZ 400 starts great, runs great and restarts great within first 5 minutes however it will not restart after that until it cools back down.  Appears to running cool at 156 F.    I've recently replaced the stater, battery, spark plug cap and coil to help deminish any possible issues there.  Can anyone help please!  Thank you!  Tridrz

So... you replaced the stator, the problem went away and now returned? I think you need to be more definitive.

A stator, (or coil) when hot, can fail though it typically manifests by starting with a high rpm miss, slowly getting worse and worse until the engine will not run. It can also be displayed by poor high rpm running, then being hard to restart hot.

You make no mention of poor running, once started.

When it does not start, I assume it cranks but does not fire at all, correct?

E or S model?

...thank you William - I appreciate your time and thoughts here.  It's an S model and yes, it will crank fine but does not fire at all.  The bike runs well with no apparent issues as those you mentioned above or any other issues for that matter within the fisrt few minutes.  in fact it seems like it will keep running well until I turn off the engine and try to start again.  It will restart fine again once I wait 45 minutes.   ...and I can't say for sure that this issue is related to the same issue that I replaced the stator for but it's possible.  The bike ran great after replacing the stator - these symptoms became present when I went to use the bike a month later.

...yes, thank you William - I did try the pri petcock setting last night and it did not help it start.  ...and it seems that my DRZ has not needed much choke to start - I usually have it off - is that indicative of anything?  ...and I've not used the choke for hot starts however I did try it last night to see if the extra air or gas might make a difference but it did not.  

Yes, Krannie, that's correct, the bike hasn't died on me however once it shuts off it just wont restart until it has set for 45 minutes then it starts up fine.  However in thinking about it, I can't say that I've run the bike for more than 10 minutes or so since this condition came about.  ...and sorry I'm not certain as to the pilot jet as I just purchased the bike last year.     

...I should clarify that I haven't ridden the bike for more than 10 minutes straight since this issue developed. I believe I've turned off the bike each time within 10 minutes.  Maybe I should take it out and ride around the block for more than 10 minutes and see if it will die on me.  If it feels like it's just running out of gas then perhaps the carburetor is filling up slowly from a clog and not getting enough gas in there again to start until some time has passed?  Is that possible?  ...and when it's just idling in my driveway, it can fill up fast enough to keep running???

The obvious thing no one mentioned is  . . . drum roll . . . the spark plug. But you probably changed that when you changed the spark plug cap. 

There's a guy on KTMTalk with a 2 stroke having a similar issue. But his bike stops running after it gets hot. Yours keeps running just won't start. So, similar, but not the same. A lot of the discussion there is around the stator. Someone mentioned vapor lock. The owner did find a kink in the gas line, but that's probably not it. 

My theory WAS this: You bike is too rich. It starts when cold bc the rich condition is like having the choke on. But when he bike warms, it's too rich to start. Until it cools back down. It also explains why your bike is running cool.

This all makes sense: It explains why he bike starts cold and doesn't die while running but won't restart hot. That part of the theory is great. The part that doesn't work is that your problem started in the winter. If my theory were correct, you would have noticed this in the summer. 

I would do this:

Check for spark: Warm the bike to the point that it won't restart. Then pull the plug and check for spark by placing it on the cylinder and kicking the bike over. 

If you're not getting spark, we can at least say it's electrical.

if you're getting spark, then maybe look at the carb. 

Edited by portlandtwostroke

...I should clarify that I haven't ridden the bike for more than 10 minutes straight since this issue developed. I believe I've turned off the bike each time within 10 minutes.  Maybe I should take it out and ride around the block for more than 10 minutes and see if it will die on me.  If it feels like it's just running out of gas then perhaps the carburetor is filling up slowly from a clog and not getting enough gas in there again to start until some time has passed?  Is that possible?  ...and when it's just idling in my driveway, it can fill up fast enough to keep running???

If you were running out of gas, the bike would die on while running.