Sign in to follow this  

Genuine CRF450 camchain or aftermarket XR400 camchain?

Rebuilding my 1999 XR400 and will be installing a new camchain too.

Price wise, a CRF450 genuine Honda chain is the same price as an aftermarket XR400 chain (manufactured by Factory Spec).

I've heard about this being a mod for the XR400 but I'd always prefer stock any day, but not sure if the aftermarket ones will be as reliable as the Honda ones.

Thoughts?

I'd go Honda. The Honda chain has proven itself. I don't know that that aftermarket chain has.

Be sure you use the right year model CRF chain. I don't remember what years they are but that info is in the forum somewhere. Do a search.

the CRF450 OEM Honda chain is a proven winner on the XR. I want to say it was 2002-04 model year, will have to dig that up-

One extra row of plates, very strong.

**edit**

found it:

14401-KCY-671 is the stock 112 link XR timing chain, we will be replacing with 14401-MEB-671 which is also a 112 link chain, and has one extra row of plates.

Edited by redhurricane

Thanks for the replies.

I've read that the CRF chain is lighter as it's designed for a race bike and is expected to be replaced a lot more frequent than an XR. Also as its wider it can affect the chain guides.

Unsure if it's true, but it does kinda make sense...

it ate up the guides on mine... tore apart the raised edge little by little... found all the pieces in the frame strainer... wiseco for xr in the latest.... $45