Sign in to follow this  

Street legal 2 stroke idea. Is it legal?

Hello, I was wondering what forum I should post this so I settled here.

So here in PA you can't register a 2 stroke dirt bike to be street legal because the vin is traced to a motorcycle that is specified to be 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE'

There is no emission inspections for motorcycles and only safety inspections.

My plan is to buy a cr250 dirt bike and buy a cheap almost scrap street legal dual sport dirt bike.

The vin number as far as I know is only itched on the steering head at the end of the chassis.

I would cut the chassis steering head that contains the street legal vin number and weld the other street legal steering head on the cr250 and weld it. Add mirrors,headlights,turn signals,brake light to the cr250.

Is that legal? would it work?

Hello, I was wondering what forum I should post this so I settled here.

So here in PA you can't register a 2 stroke dirt bike to be street legal because the vin is traced to a motorcycle that is specified to be 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE'

There is no emission inspections for motorcycles and only safety inspections.

My plan is to buy a cr250 dirt bike and buy a cheap almost scrap street legal dual sport dirt bike.

The vin number as far as I know is only itched on the steering head at the end of the chassis.

I would cut the chassis steering head that contains the street legal vin number and weld the other street legal steering head on the cr250 and weld it. Add mirrors,headlights,turn signals,brake light to the cr250.

Is that legal? would it work?

Couldn't see it being legal. You'd be basically forging the vin number mate. Same as changing the number plates.

Edited by AddictedToBling

You'd be basically forging the vin number mate. Same as changing the number plates.

Where do you draw the line? I can swap tires, engines, plastics, brakes, forks, etc

Consider it the original dual sport with every part replaced from the cr250 unto it except the steering head.

I am not a criminal I just want to know if this is a loop hole or there is a law I am braking by swapping everything from another bike except the steering head.

• Like 1

Where do you draw the line? I can swap tires, engines, plastics, brakes, forks, etc

Consider it the original dual sport with every part replaced from the cr250 unto it except the steering head.

I am not a criminal I just want to know if this is a loop hole or there is a law I am braking by swapping everything from another bike except the steering head.

You might get away with putting the CR engine into a another frame. You will not get away with changing Vin numbers. Not gonna happen. Sorry.

• Like 2

You might get away with putting the CR engine into a another frame. You will not get away with changing Vin numbers. Not gonna happen. Sorry.

There is no emission inspections, so putting the cr engine is not a problem? what about moving the cr forks and swingarm into the other frame too? You see my point? how many parts can you move from the cr into the dual sport until it becomes illigal?

'Street legal' 2-strokes are (were) tuned much tamer than a CR motocross engine, plus have a wide ratio gearbox keeping the rpms lower.

On the street, the 'pipey' CR250 engine with it's close ratio transmission would be less than ideal,

it would also require much richer jetting if it's going to see any sustained high rpm road use.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

'Street legal' 2-strokes are (were) tuned much tamer than a CR motocross engine, plus have a wide ratio gearbox keeping the rpms lower.

On the street, the 'pipey' CR250 engine with it's close ratio transmission would be less than ideal,

it would also require much richer jetting if it's going to see any sustained high rpm road use.

I only need a plate to move from trail to trail. I hate bringing a truck. Also some trails in PA are only for street legal dual sports.

While an engine swap is possible, a cop who 'wants to get you' will be able to do so easily. The 2S engine is not road certified. All he has to do is show that in court. You would have to prove the engine was road legal.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I'm a diehard 2-stroke guy,

but is there a reason why a dual sport 4-stroke wouldn't be of interest for trail use ?

If those PA trails are open/legal to dual-sports, guessing they're not extremely rough

so not requiring the capabilities of a more serious off-road / enduro type bike.

CRF250L or WR250R come to mind, still very capable bikes if not pushed beyond their suspension's limitations (CRF)

better range / fuel mileage than a 2-stroke

abitility to ride anywhere legaly

no jetting to change if the temps rise/drop from day to day

fuel up at any gas station along the way, no premixing.

As I said I'm a 2T guys at heart (I ride MX)

but if I ever get a trail bike I find a 4-stroke would be way more advantageous.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

My dealer told me the way KTM sends them the bikes and the paper work, it gives the dealer the option of selling the bikes as plated or not plated.  I bought my XCF-W as a plated bike and I could have bought a 2 stroke (XC-W) plated.   But the same dealer could not have sold me a Honda or Yamaha that way.  The way they come to the dealer they can't be sold plated.  They can still be plated but it requires the owner jumping through all the hoops, getting inspections, etc.  

I'm not sure if it's the same in PA, but It might be something to look into if you were in the market for a new bike.  

I vote for an engine swap. There are definitely street legal two strokes so it would take a knowledgeable cop to know what he is talking about. By me, they're clueless about motorcycle laws. It's awesome. Don't hack up your frame. That has illegal written all over it. It would be interesting to have a two stroke cafe racer style bike.

• Like 2

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448323039.855179.jpg I bought my 250 brand new asked the dealer if I could tag it he said hell yeah and slapped a tag fee on my title (25 bucks) took it to the MVA (my title) walked out with a tag..... Had a shop hook me up with blinkers, tail light, dot tires, horn, and mirror. They inspected it and I was done. I'm in MD tho.
  • Like 1

There are plenty of plated two strokes floating around. Mostly European.

Check your state laws regarding equipment needed. Many buy from another state and import.

Don't make if complicated and it won't be. Never use the terms offroad, dirt bike ohv...etc.

Go with a wide ratio unless the trails are very close together.

• Like 1

Something I've read happened here in Quebec/Canada is there once was a loophole that since some older (up to mid-90's ?) enduro type 2T

bikes with headlights/tailights were not listed as being 'not-road legal' in the MVM's files (era pre-everything is on the DMV's computer database like now)

Pending they passed the safety inspection (head/tailight/blinkers/horn/mirror/DOTtires), those bikes were easily plated versus

say newer bikes which were more likely to already be listed when introduced on the market as being legal-or-not in the current database

Well eventualy the DMV's database got updated, guys with 2T 'enduros' converted into dual-sports all got letters from the DMV saying

that their plates were not going to be re-newed because the bike was now deemed not road legal.

I would hated to have spent time and money 'legalizing' a bike as per the rules/laws of the time only to be deemed 'not-legal' later on.

One thing for sure, ask the DMV/state official about this stuff as dealerships are often clueless. When I purchased my YZ125,

the dealer gave me the paperwork and insisted I had to get it plated as an 'off-road vehicle' (considered the same as an ATV or SxS here).

Upon looking up the Quebec DMV laws and getting info from the police, since I only ride my bike at MX tracks it is by law exempt of any plating being a 'closed-course competition only' vehicle.

MX'ers may be tolerated in certain areas but officialy they aren't trail legal in this province, but if you do trailride one then you need a plate.

Edited by mlatour

Every state is different here.

Despite what any believe there aren't laws saying a 2 strokes isn't legal.

• Like 2

Local KTM dealer told me he could make any dirt bike they had street legal.

I'm half tempted to see what they can do with a Husky 300.

But then I remember that, unless it has oil injection, riding a 2 stroke on the road would be miserable (it would probably still be miserable even if it did have oil injection).

Instead of doing all that work to have an illegal bike, just put the plate from the street legal bike on it and hope the officers do not know anything about bikes if you do something stupid enough to get pulled over. Way less work for an Illegal bike.

KTM doesn't list their motorcycles as 'off road only'. Honda does. When you take it to get a plate they will look up the make and model of the bike and tell you that it's listed as 'off road use only' and they will refuse to plate it. 

The question is what part of a bike is a the bike itself? How many parts can you move over into your street legal bike until it becomes not street legal?

For example if I do an engine swap it will still be street legal, move the forks still street legal, move the swing arm, still street legal, Move the handle bars and steering clams, still street legal. So now I have a street legal bike with only the chassis of the original bike. Why don't I just cut the steering head off the non street legal bike and weld the steering head of the street legal bike.  Now I have a piece of the street legal bike and the rest isn't. 

Lol because you're tampering with the vin. I mean sure there is a possibility that you may get away with it but this is what theives do to make their stolen bikes legal. So they may look for this. The law sometimes doesn't make sense but it is what it is. I guarantee there is some kind of federal law that says you can't legally do this