Street legal 2 stroke idea. Is it legal?

and a Felony....

That's what I want to talk about. How is it a felony? Also as they say nothing is illegal if you don't get caught. I don't want to discuss illegal stuff on forums but I truly don't know if it's legal or not and under what law? 

Edited by Q47
  • Like 1

That's what I want to talk about. How is it a felony? Also as they say nothing is illegal if you don't get caught. I don't want to discuss illegal stuff on forums but I truly don't know if it's legal or not and under what law?

unless you use a special construction tag , it's the same as stealing even if you own both vehicles.
  • Like 1

KTM RFS motors, 50HP and very close to being as reliable as an XR.

I think a lot of people in this forum are stuck in the late 80s

Got an RFS 450 engine in my Beta. They run hot, very hot. Let it Idol too long one day and blew a water pump seal. Used to boil in tight ST every time. Not even close to being as reliable as an XR. IMO. Ride tight ST and then stop and let it Idol for a minute. An XR can Idol all day long. After being flogged all morning. Hard ass farmers cried when they stopped making the 400's.

Had the 525 RFS in my Polatis Outlaw IRS Quad. That ran very hot also. Great power though.

Edited by AddictedToBling

"For purposes of subsection (a) of this section, the term “tampers with” includes covering a program decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act for the purpose of obstructing its visibility."

I am not tampering or altering a vin number. I am simply attaching another bike to my steering tube. Now that I think about it I should ask a lawyer about the legality of this and ask you guys about the technicality, unless we have lawyers on 2 wheels here ? 

"For purposes of subsection (a) of this section, the term “tampers with” includes covering a program decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act for the purpose of obstructing its visibility."

I am not tampering or altering a vin number. I am simply attaching another bike to my steering tube. Now that I think about it I should ask a lawyer about the legality of this and ask you guys about the technicality, unless we have lawyers on 2 wheels here ?

no you should just quit while your ahead
  • Like 1

If you're allowed to swap around a Vehicle Identity Number, what is the point of having one? Let's say you crash your bike and you need to replace the front of your frame, you would have to weld a new one in and replace the vin with the SAME EXACT one it previously had. Let's say you replace a piece of a dr200 frame w/vin with anther dr200 vin, it's still illegal. The VIN represents the bike as a whole.  

So you will be riding a non street legal bike on the road with false registration and insurance. What if you get in an accident? You could be sued beyond belief. Like others said, a motor swap will never put you in the position where you may be arrested and slapped with a felony and heavily fined.    

Hell, it would be less illegal to ride a 2 stroke bike on the street with no tags with the correct VIN......

A few years ago I-er, I mean, my buddy mangled the frame on my-er, i mean, his race bike.. buddy had a used frame and sent it to m-er him (he lives in the US and I'm, er I mean he's in Canada)

Switched everything over to the new frame and swapped the VIN tags (TRX450, so not a bike and a lot easier to do)

Doing it legit would have had to let both governments inspect the frame which I don't know if it would have passed inspection being just a frame..

As far as I know it is impossible in Ontario to plate anything that wasn't road legal from the dealership.. they changed the rule in '04 I believe? 

I came to realize that welding a head tube is not an easy matter. Now I know why they chose to put the vin on the head tube. It's welded to so many parts and with precision and swapping it is almost as hard as doing an engine swap. If the weld at the tube breaks you would break approx 1 second after that. Not fun.  

Edited by Q47
  • Like 1

In most states the DMV couldn't care less about an engine swap. That may be a viable route to getting a 2t on the road. Your insurance company may want to know about it though, especially if the engine size has increased. Like a CR500 engine in a dual sport 250 frame.

Got an RFS 450 engine in my Beta. They run hot, very hot. Let it Idol too long one day and blew a water pump seal. Used to boil in tight ST every time. Not even close to being as reliable as an XR. IMO. Ride tight ST and then stop and let it Idol for a minute. An XR can Idol all day long. After being flogged all morning. Hard ass farmers cried when they stopped making the 400's.

Had the 525 RFS in my Polatis Outlaw IRS Quad. That ran very hot also. Great power though.

absolutely had to have a fan on mine. It ran alot. Strangely I don't think it changed much when I went over bore to 540.

KTMs habit of running the same size radiators on all bikes is handy but not well engineered. 300s should have a better system than the 250s too

• Like 1