Sign in to follow this  

Timing Chain (Cam Chain) Suzuki RMZ & Kawasaki KXF 2004 - 2012

Hi

I've gone from green to yellow - having owned Kawasaki's for many years i've now gone for a RMZ. To be honest my only reason was that a RMZ was up for a good price and I could'nt find anything locally in green for the same price. 

The top end is due for a rebuild this winter, so i've been pricing up parts. Suzuki despite reducing part prices (apparently) by over 40% are still higher than Kawasaki. Take a camchain, £18.00 for a genuine Kawasaki and £43.00 for a Suzuki, but both appear to be the same part. Yes Suzuki have changed the part number, but what's in the bag still appears to be the same.

Now I know that Suzuki & Kawasaki had a joint venture from 2004 - 2005, but despite going there separate ways it appears that the chain is the same, does anyone know any difference? I often wondered why ProX and HotCams advertised the same chain for 2004 - 2012 models but Suzuki changed the part number in 2007. If I am right it looks like a saving of 50% if i buy the same chain directly from Kawasaki.

Just wanted to check if anyone else is aware? Ive contacted a Kawasaki dealership in Corby and they advised it's the same part. It appears that despite the Suzuki part number changing in 2007, neither the part was not changed until much later?

Looking online, it appears to also fit Yamaha's too.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Timing...DtrE#vi-ilComp

Yamaha prices are probably higher than most now, so it's a wonder what parts are the same across the different manufacturers.

You'd be surprised how may parts cross over.  Measure the chain pitch and whats nots and i'm sure you'll find its compatible.

Clutch plates are another good one.  There are only actually a small handful of variations of clutch plates.  Then there's wheel bearings, suspension bearings, brake pads....etc while they may have different part numbers will in fact share the same dimensions.

By the way aftermarket cam chains are good cheap options...i'm thinking wiseco here.  I did a top end (wossener piston - wiseco cam chain - oem gaskets) for $120 NZD