Sign in to follow this  

KX250f winter project, bad motor, hole in case?

I'm looking for a winter project and found a 2009 KX250F, which per the owner has motor issues.  The owner doesn't know much about bikes or at least it appears as such.  The bike has not been opened up, selling as is. The facts I know are, the bike was not run low on oil, its not locked up, the bike has a hole in the front of the case, I'm assuming crank failure damaged the case..  It is does shift into neutral.  The bike is being sold as is, therefore I cant open it up to investigate further. What is the worst case, the crank/rod, piston parts damaged head, and bottom end, basically making most of the motor scrap?  Anyone have any experience with similar rod/crank failure, it seems to be common from what I've read. 

And the real question is, what is the bike worth as a rebuild project, or should I walk away.  The bike has not been abused and seems to be in good condition other than the motor.  If I offer any $$, I'll offer rolling chassis price, assuming the motor will need replaced.  thank you. 

I'm looking for a winter project and found a 2009 KX250F, which per the owner has motor issues.  The owner doesn't know much about bikes or at least it appears as such.  The bike has not been opened up, selling as is. The facts I know are, the bike was not run low on oil, its not locked up, the bike has a hole in the front of the case, I'm assuming crank failure damaged the case..  It is does shift into neutral.  The bike is being sold as is, therefore I cant open it up to investigate further. What is the worst case, the crank/rod, piston parts damaged head, and bottom end, basically making most of the motor scrap?  Anyone have any experience with similar rod/crank failure, it seems to be common from what I've read. 

And the real question is, what is the bike worth as a rebuild project, or should I walk away.  The bike has not been abused and seems to be in good condition other than the motor.  If I offer any $$, I'll offer rolling chassis price, assuming the motor will need replaced.  thank you. 

A good condition 09 around newengland is worth around $2100.

I've rebuild a bunch of Kaw's with the rod through the cases.

the good thing about Kaw's is the cases can usually be welded back if you know a good welder, and you have the pieces of broken case.

If theyre damaged beyond repair case sets are under $400 on line.

Plan on a new crank, cyl, piston, ect then the small stuff.

I usually rebuild em as big bores, using CylinderWorks kits found on ebay for under $400.

They usually don't damage the valves or head. If thats the case they can be rebuilt pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Works-Big-Bore-Cyl-Kit-269cc-3mm-Over-to-80mm-13-2-1-Comp-31004-K01-/311181190747?fits=Year%3A2009|Model%3AKX250F&hash=item4873d8265b:g:YlQAAOSw1XdUW~t6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rods-4096-Crank-Crankshaft-2009-2010-Kawasaki-KX-250F-/311457399697?fits=Year%3A2009|Model%3AKX250F&hash=item48844ec391:m:mMDWVMyllSOm-6_buISFwSg&vxp=mtr

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-14001-0150.html

Edited by nesc103y

That's good to hear. I'm planning on looking at the bike tomorrow. Since my post, owner took the bike to s dealer who tore it down. Cases, crank, cylinder and piston look toast. Shop said the head was ok. I had hoped to get the bottom end in one piece to make it easier to rebuild. I've only done crfs and xrs so a kaws in a bucket may be a challenge. But with it tore down it revealed a usable head and no tear down time.

Thanks again.

That's good to hear. I'm planning on looking at the bike tomorrow. Since my post, owner took the bike to s dealer who tore it down. Cases, crank, cylinder and piston look toast. Shop said the head was ok. I had hoped to get the bottom end in one piece to make it easier to rebuild. I've only done crfs and xrs so a kaws in a bucket may be a challenge. But with it tore down it revealed a usable head and no tear down time.

Thanks again.

They're pretty simple. 

But on the other hand rebuilding an exploded motor isn't for just anybody.

Lots of guys get in over their head.

I would ask what is your  motive with this?

If you plan on a proffit making flip you have to get the bike for around $500 to make it worth while.

If you wanted to build a fresh big bore for your own use a blown KX250F makes a great start point.

If you bike the bike for $1000 then put another G into it you will have a fun bilke in the end.

regarding the head,

You need to look really closely at the intake valve guides where they protrude into the port to determine if the head was damaged.

The guides are brittle and will hairline crack where they protrude. 

Take the valve out an shine  a bright light up the guide for proper assesment.

Great information, thank you. This forum is always helpful. I have done these rebuilds before, just never a Kawasaki. My motive is to keep my son and I busy this winter. I usually send the heads to a shop for assessment, and work if needed(guides, cut seats) and drop new valves/springs in if needed. The shiop I use will tell me straight, use it, junk it, it needs guides, etc. We will probably run it in the spring, maybe sell it. thanks again.

Edited by unplayable

I recently bought a winter project in a box. A 2009 Kawasaki kx250f. Rod broke in half and tore up cases, and cylinder. Part numbers look different for 08 and 10, so I'm not sure if cases outside 09 will work. Can anyone confirm that other year bottom ends work with a 2009 kx250f? New cases are $365, so it's not going to break the bank buying new, but could save me a couple hundred $$ if I could find a used pair of cases.

2008 motor is completely different. Cant use those cases or many other components for that matter. 

2010 motor is similar to the 2009, but the 2010 crankshaft connecting rod was wider than in 2009. This made Kawasaki beef up the material surrounding the crankshaft on the cases. While visibly identical there is a difference in 2009 and 2010 cases. I know this because I tried putting a 2010 crank into 2009 cases without success. However, many components like transmission shafts, transmission bearings, shifting mechanisms, shift drum are shared between 2009 and 2010. 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/real-tests-2010-mxa-race-test-of-the-kawasaki-kx250f

thanks for the information.  I'm glad I decided to stick with 2009 parts, the websites were right on the years if you had trouble mixing 09 and 10 parts.

I'm rounding up parts, and did get a set of clean 2009 cases just this afternoon.  I've ordered a new crank, cylinder works kit, bottom bearings and seals. 

Any suggestions on a sealer for the case seam?  Permatex product or Yamabond?  The recomnended Kawasaki sealer is like $45.

Yamabond is a rebranded ThreeBond 1215 product. Thats what I use on my rebuilds as I just prefer the tube and its applicator. It works great. IMO theres nothing different or special about the Kawasaki sealant. 

Permatex 29132 motoseal 1 is another good product. Can be found in many of the big box stores or amazon for cheap (<$7). 

Yamabond is a rebranded ThreeBond 1215 product. Thats what I use on my rebuilds as I just prefer the tube and its applicator. It works great. IMO theres nothing different or special about the Kawasaki sealant. 

Permatex 29132 motoseal 1 is another good product. Can be found in many of the big box stores or amazon for cheap (<$7). 

Permatex Black can be found at any AutoZone and is excellent