Sign in to follow this  

Hauling Dirt Bikes Help

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site so hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking at hauling 2 dirt bikes this summer and usually I leave my tailgate down when my bikes are in the back, but the problem is that I'll be towing a trailer, therefore i cant leave it down (about a half of a foot on my tailgate).

I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of anyone doing this...I was thinking of making a lifted box out of 2x4s, with a chock to hold the dirt bikes in place on top of them, obviously ill strap down the bikes really well. But essentially what I want to do is put the front wheel on these lifted chocks, which will elevate the bike and reducing the length, in hopes that my bikes will fit in the back.

I was searching the web and I only found one other person that lifted the front tire with a dirt bike (picture), but I found a couple of people who bought a legit one for their quads. I attached a few pictures of what I was thinking if doing and if anyone else has any suggestions that would be awesome.

IMG_1561.JPG

ATV Ramps.jpg

I don't think you're going to achieve what you're after. If you look at both the pics you've posted the tailgates are down. I'm pretty sure you would have to put the front wheel on the roof to be able to close the tailgate completely.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/Mikey394/2012-08-19_10-53-30_927_zps65702ee9.jpg

I have had success doing this. Not my picture but same idea.

Take your tailgate catch cable and wrap it back around the catch lug. I have pulled trailers with loaded bed full of dirt bikes this way.

If you wanted something a bit more secure, you could mount some loops on the inside of the tail gate and on the inside of the upper bed rails and use short tie downs on each side. This way you could pull the tail gate up tight to the back tire.

And actually in the above pic you could take the tail gate off completely, mount some loops on the inside of the upper bed rails and use a long heavy duty racket tie down around both back tires to hold them in/down.

If you need need say a foot more out side the bed for the back tires, with the tail gate off, put down a sheet of thick plywood cut to the width of the bed just long enough off the back for the rear tires.

Here's an option for a tie down system. This dude lives in Squamish so I assume this available in BC.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1135544-supertrac-in-a-pick-up-for-easy-tie-downs/

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

Do as bluethunder suggested.

My dad made a bar with two slots in it. He lifts up the tailgate and slides the slotted bar over the pins on the bed and tailgate and it stays elevated.

Yeah, when I tow a trailer I just take the tail gate off and use one of the cargo net tail gate things