Sign in to follow this  

KX 500 Power valve Question

So, I've got this big ol' 1989 Kx 500 i picked up for 1100$, yes that's right, 1100$. Anyway, it runs like shit, wont go into power band. One of the things I know it needs is new power valves. However, I cant find a set of them for an 89, besides brand new from kawi parts house for over 600$. I did, however, find a cheap set from a 1993. Will these fit on my bike with no problems, or do I have to find a set specifically for an 89? Ive already thrown in new top end gaskets, a chain, and sprockets. Has good spark. It was sucking oil from tranny too, but it had too thick an oil in it, and it was overfilled. But, when we tested power vales, we noticed that they were loose, and that they were worn. Air was able to get around them, and was escaping out of a strange groove on the front of the cylinder. Its from the factory, seen it in some of the online PDF manuals. I don't know what its for, anybody else know? Ill try to get a picture.

Suckling oil out of the tranny? Sounds to me like a bad crank seal. My buddy has a kdx200 and when his crank seal went it was burning a crazy amount of oil.

Suckling oil out of the tranny? Sounds to me like a bad crank seal. My buddy has a kdx200 and when his crank seal went it was burning a crazy amount of oil.

I think it may be, but theres still the powervalve issue

Remove, clean, reassemble, RIP IT!

I would go through the whole engine to start fresh since u got it so cheap.

Check out kxriders.com for more build guidance.

Edited by crazyal426