Sign in to follow this  

2016 KX450 Parts

So I've owned the bike 3 months and aftermarket parts are still difficult to locate.  I'm thinking high wear parts like plastic, sprockets, etc. and this is what I have found so far: 

Plastic - OEM only.  I usually purchase from Rocky Mountain, pay big bucks and have to wait two weeks.  UFO says they will have something by mid-December, Acerbis says mid-January.

Lower Fork Guards - 2015 fits the 2016.

Engine/Case Guards - The water pump cover looks unique to the 2016 but does the engine case guard from other years work?

Shock Flap - Been purchasing OEM (and waiting 2 weeks).  I bought a 2015 KX450 and it didn't fit. 

Wheels/Brakes - Wheels haven't changed for years so hubs, sprockets, pads, etc. from 2015 fit except the front disc.  I did use an OEM front disc when I replaced the original so I'm not sure if any aftermarket 270mm rotor will work. 

Any feedback from other owners on sources, interchangeable parts, etc. would be appreciated. 

Thanks

The 2015 front brake disc will work. It was 270mm also. I had a Galfer disc on my spare wheel from last year and it worked. The air filters are different and the oil filters are the same as previous years 250Fs. Twin Air, Uni, and Pro Filters (soon if not already) has air filters.Seats are different, but I used a seat cover I had from an earlier model and it worked fine.

Edited by mx317

So I've owned the bike 3 months and aftermarket parts are still difficult to locate. I'm thinking high wear parts like plastic, sprockets, etc. and this is what I have found so far:

Plastic - OEM only. I usually purchase from Rocky Mountain, pay big bucks and have to wait two weeks. UFO says they will have something by mid-December, Acerbis says mid-January.

Lower Fork Guards - 2015 fits the 2016.

Engine/Case Guards - The water pump cover looks unique to the 2016 but does the engine case guard from other years work?

Shock Flap - Been purchasing OEM (and waiting 2 weeks). I bought a 2015 KX450 and it didn't fit.

Wheels/Brakes - Wheels haven't changed for years so hubs, sprockets, pads, etc. from 2015 fit except the front disc. I did use an OEM front disc when I replaced the original so I'm not sure if any aftermarket 270mm rotor will work.

Any feedback from other owners on sources, interchangeable parts, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you like your 16

Do you like your 16

I like it so much I bought two!  All kidding aside, this may be the best modern four-stroke I have owned; I love the motor and handling and I feel that the suspension is as good as, if not better than, my 2015 YZ450.  I highly recommend this bike.

Thanks to all for the replies.  Looks like there aren't many options yet....

for sure buy the T M designs chain slider from motosport.com or Rocky mt. lasts forever

for sure buy the T M designs chain slider from motosport.com or Rocky mt. lasts forever

they don't have them yet for the 16.

Anybody find anywhere to get a chain guide slider for the 16 other than oem?

The guide by the rear sprocket or the one that wraps around the swingarm by the front sprocket? The one by the rear sprocket is the same as previous models. I had just bought one for my 2013, but took it off when I sold it and put stock back on. It bolted straight on my 2016.

The guide by the rear sprocket or the one that wraps around the swingarm by the front sprocket? The one by the rear sprocket is the same as previous models. I had just bought one for my 2013, but took it off when I sold it and put stock back on. It bolted straight on my 2016.

the slider on the swingarm. The oem is done after about six rides and they want $80.

If it helps MR Cycle has it for $65. I hoped the older ones would fit, but they are very different with one having 3 bolt holes and the other 4. I have a brand new slider for an older model I can't use so I'll just ebay it. I had bought it for my 13 and just had not needed it.

TM Design just started shipping the chain slider and case saver. I have a couple and they work and look great.

I use the Acerbis chain guides. They work great and the "new" style has a carbon fiber look

I used the front (wrap around) slider from the 15 model on my 16, just had an extra hole that didn't get used. Been on for 10 hours now and works great. Bottom rear fit right up also.

Thanks McLain! I used the rear one I had but glad to know the front slider I had left new from my 13 will work also.

Does kawasaki have those gas tank wash caps like Ktm has? When you take the tank off would be nice to have something to plug the line

Edited by PsyCo

I am really getting disappointed at the lack of aftermarket parts for this bike. The 17's will be here soon and I still can't get an aftermarket shifter to accommodate my size 13 boots.

Also it would be nice to have a desert tank. I know IMS has made some custom tanks for their sponsored riders, but come on man... release them to us common folk!

I am really getting disappointed at the lack of aftermarket parts for this bike. The 17's will be here soon and I still can't get an aftermarket shifter to accommodate my size 13 boots.

Also it would be nice to have a desert tank. I know IMS has made some custom tanks for their sponsored riders, but come on man... release them to us common folk!

I took the Hammerhead +10mm shifter tip and put it on the stock shifter. The only thing I had to do was grind a very small spot on the front of the shifter so it would be at the right angle. VERY easy to do.

edit: I also put a thin shim between the shifter and the tip to make it snug as the stock shifter is 0.020" or so thinner.

Edited by mx317